Help Skimmer Problem!!

Jun 12, 2011
Michigan
Last summer I buried a Radiant Metric GT pool, everything was done to specs for their inground install. I acted as the general contractor but the Radiant vendor did the actual pool install. I recently noticed sand and other debris getting in behind the liner around the skimmer. I excavated the skimmer and there is a large gap all around the skimmer where it looks like ground pressure is forcing debris behind the liner. I called the pool company that did the install and of course they are acting like no big deal just spray foam around the skimmer, but now I have a bunch of Crud behind my liner some of which is sharp. They also said they would contact Radiant, but I have not heard back from them.

Questions:

1. Does having a large gap all around the skimmer seem correct to you?
2. While the majority of the debris is by the skimmer, I also feel lumps all around the pool, is it possible for this sand and gravel to travel around the entire pool from the skimmer.
3. I noticed the skimmer was never installed completely level, slightly pointing up, is that an issue.
4. What do you think is the appropriate action for the pool company and Radiant, they are acting like no big deal, but now I have Crud behind my liner some of which is sharp, and it is just over a year old. I'm thinking they should replace my liner, is that unreasonable?

Thanks for the info it is an inground skimmer, I think the ground pressure forced the skimmer up and in a little could that cause an issue, and allow something behind it. There was not doubt there was some sand behind it, I was actually able to work the sand down into the cove, perhaps that was from the install not sure. I am also feeling what seems like little sharp pebbles, the pool is aluminum wall would that rust? Should I be concerned about the little sharp bumps? My first pool and the pool company is nice but they made me feel like I am over reacting, on the other hand I don't want to pay for a liner replacement in a year or two cause something was not done or designed correctly. Also the pool company the only Radiant vendor is an hour away so not real easy for them to come and take a look at it.

Aluminum will corrode but that's probably not what's happening in your case. If sand and sharp rocks are getting behind the liner they will puncture the liner given time. You should definitely have them removed and the liner inspected for the beginnings of punctures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.