Need some help - filling pool up from empty

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
This is my first time measuring everything. I'm just hoping someone can point out if I did something wrong and/or what to do next?

These were taken with a TF100 Test kit.

FC -1
Ph - 8.2
TA - 100
CH - 120
CYA - 0

I know right off the bat I need to add CYA. I'll get on that right away with the CYA in a sock recommendation I've read elsewhere on the site. I know I also need to add chlorine. According to the pool calculator, I need to add 315oz of bleach to get FC up to 5.

I'm going to do those two things right now. My question is do I try to take action on some of the other numbers (Ph/CH) right now too? Or should I wait to get FC and CYA in check before moving on to the other chemicals?

I also have a salt water generator hooked up that I've not turned on yet. SHould I do that now? Or get FC up to 5 and then kick it on?

The first thing I'd work on is getting some acid in there to get the pH to about 7.5. Then I would only add enough FC to get to 3 ppm until you get some CYA in there.

Then tomorrow raise the FC up to the recommended level for the amount of CYA you targeted.

If you haven't added the salt, do that also and wait 24 hours to turn on the swg.

After you have everything else balanced you can work on the CH.

Thanks, fellas. As far as the salt for the SWG, how much should I add? I can't figure out how to work salt on the pool calculator. Should that be measured in ppm on the calculator? If so, that seems like A LOT of salt (my output came out almost 100lbs of salt!). Is that right?

Before adding salt you need to test to see how much is in there already. Even a new fill can have a good amount of salt in it.
Once you know that number you put that in the Now column and the amount recommended by the swg in the target column and it'll figure how much you need, and yes it'll be many hundreds of lbs.

If you started at zero salt, you'll need almost 1000 lbs (24 bags) to get to 3000 ppm.

When adding salt, I'd put in several bags short in case of overshoot. Mine called for right at 10 bags, I put 8. First measurement came in at 3400. I was shooting for 2700. Worked out in the end.

HELP!

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here, but my pool is slowly turning from aqua blue to a blueish green over the past few days. I've been measuring every day and adjusting using the pool calculator. Below are today's numbers (I haven't added any chemicals in about 24 hours at this point:

FC- 9
CC - 1
Ph - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 150
CYA - 65

What am I missing that has the water going green? I've added CYA and plenty of bleach over the past few days as recommended. Any advice is appreciated!

Edit - Here is a pic:

poolcleanup10.jpg

You need to shock the pool, for whatever reason, your chlorine has been inadequate. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that article religiously and the pool will clear up.

The game, the clue re needing to shock in addition to the color is the 1 cc - here we recommend to shock whenever the cc is greater than .5 or you lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight (dark, no sun).

If I recall, that was a bit of a swamp you recovered and you're new to the homE, right? My theory is that though you bleached the dickens out of it to clean it when it was drained, there may have been some algae in the system or light niche (if you didn't remove it) that got opportunistic during the brief period your chlorine was low.

So if you engage in the shocking process described in pool school and have that filter running 24/7 You should be able to sanitize the entire system. Since you're new, just wanted you to know the rationale.

Also, I don't have an swg, but believe you're not to run it while shocking. Best wishes and please keep us posted! Great progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed with swampwoman. I remember the pictures and it's highly likely there was stuff in the plumbing and light nitches. Letting your FC dip just a bit would be enough for it to take hold.

Oh, and how do you like living with some of the best municipal water in the US? :cool:

Didn't know that about Louisville water lol.

I'm officially in shock...more so than I thought. I think I need to lower my pool size in the pool calc. What it said would take me to 28 FC actually took me to 40! Good news is it was 40 when I added it this morning at 10am and is still at 40 here at 7pm. I assume that's good news anyway?

Full results:

FC 40
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 100
CH 110
CYA 65

Swampwoman said:
Also, I don't have an swg, but believe you're not to run it while shocking. Best wishes and please keep us posted! Great progress!
It is fine to run when shocking, just not during the overnight chlorine loss test. In fact once you get the chlorine to shock levels, the SWG can help you to stabilize the level.

march2012 said:
Swampwoman said:
It is fine to run when shocking, just not during the overnight chlorine loss test. In fact once you get the chlorine to shock levels, the SWG can help you to stabilize the level.

good stuff to know! I've not turned it on yet. It's brand new and never been turned on - waiting to stabilize everything first. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.