Help finish cleaning this up please

imcj

May 18, 2010
I posted yesterday why I found a green pool. I kept pulling my FC back up yesterday until the last time last night. I tested this morning and FC remained at 20. I still have CC of 1.5 though. What is my next step? I don't want to take FC further than 20 do I? Please help!

FC 20
CC 1.5
ph 7.2 (I took it down when I read "How to turn your Green Swamp Into a Sparkling Oasis" before I started
CYA 80 (this was almost zero yesterday, an additional problem I didn't realize I had before yesterday due to all of my previous drain/fills because of high salt reading)

Ok, we'll do. I just finished another brush of the pool. Kinda hard cuz my pool wall is 4' and I'm only 5'! LOL I guess a Labor Day swim is out of the question! :( Thank you for your quick response!

Okay, added bleach at 7:30 to get water over 21. I went by the 18 shock level, not the mustard algae number at the bottom of the pool calculator. I guess I should've gone with the higher number.

Anyway, I tested at 9:10 and FC is 25 and CC is down to .5. If cc stays down do you think a swim is possible later this afternoon of evening or is the fc too high?

Thanks so much.

Hahaha! Jealous here. This morning at 6:15 it is still cloudy, but I can begin to see the bottom. What makes the cloudiness...all of the suddenly added chlorine or the algae? Shouldn't that be gone by now? I've used enough bleach! LOL

FC is still remaining high, about 35 and CC appeared to be 0. I know it sounds funny to say "appeared", but it was a little difficult to tell since the sun hadn't quite come up all the way. I feel I am accurate. I am using the TF-100.

What do I do now? Is there anything I can do before I head to work today or do I wait and test when I get home now? thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I decided to turn the SWG off. I am not having very good patience I guess. I tested this morning and cc is still 2. I thought I'd be okay by now. Is it normal for this to go on so long? I've been working on this since Sunday morning. I'll keep it at/above shock level I guess. Which number should I be aiming for, the 18 that I found at thepoolcalculator or the mustard algae number? Just so you know I've been keeping it at/above mustard algae level.

I think normal shock level is fine. You can run the swg while you're shocking to help keep some FC up, but be sure to turn it off before you run the OCLT!

It can take a while to complete the shock process, but three days isn't long at all. Just keep after it.

imcj said:
wow, really? Okay, that makes me feel better. I'll keep at it.

Some people with swamps have gone on for weeks. I think once you have to clear algae you realize that preventing it really is much easier (and cheaper). Also anytime you let the FC drop below the shock level, the algae can start to grow again. Algae also forms a protective layer which is why you want to brush the pool to break up any colonies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.