Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help finish cleaning this up please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help finish cleaning this up please

I posted yesterday why I found a green pool. I kept pulling my FC back up yesterday until the last time last night. I tested this morning and FC remained at 20. I still have CC of 1.5 though. What is my next step? I don't want to take FC further than 20 do I? Please help!

FC 20
    CC 1.5
    ph 7.2 (I took it down when I read "How to turn your Green Swamp Into a Sparkling Oasis" before I started
    CYA 80 (this was almost zero yesterday, an additional problem I didn't realize I had before yesterday due to all of my previous drain/fills because of high salt reading)
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help finish cleaning this up please

Keep FC up at 21 or better, keep brushing, and drink some POP (Pool Owner Patience). When the water clears and the CC is .5 or less, perform the overnight test.

It's like anything else. It takes longer to clean up a mess than it does to make it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, we'll do. I just finished another brush of the pool. Kinda hard cuz my pool wall is 4' and I'm only 5'! LOL I guess a Labor Day swim is out of the question! Thank you for your quick response!
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, added bleach at 7:30 to get water over 21. I went by the 18 shock level, not the mustard algae number at the bottom of the pool calculator. I guess I should've gone with the higher number.

Anyway, I tested at 9:10 and FC is 25 and CC is down to .5. If cc stays down do you think a swim is possible later this afternoon of evening or is the fc too high?

Thanks so much.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sure, swim away!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Water is still quite cloudy.

7. Back To Top    #7

The cloudiness is a concern to me. Is it okay to swim, and will it clear up? CC is still 0.5.

8. Back To Top    #8

If it's cloudy enough that you can't see the bottom, I wouldn't swim. Of course, I admit that I have a severe case of Sparklypoolitis!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Hahaha! Jealous here. This morning at 6:15 it is still cloudy, but I can begin to see the bottom. What makes the cloudiness...all of the suddenly added chlorine or the algae? Shouldn't that be gone by now? I've used enough bleach! LOL

FC is still remaining high, about 35 and CC appeared to be 0. I know it sounds funny to say "appeared", but it was a little difficult to tell since the sun hadn't quite come up all the way. I feel I am accurate. I am using the TF-100.

What do I do now? Is there anything I can do before I head to work today or do I wait and test when I get home now? thank you.

10. Back To Top    #10

Once you pass the OCLT you'll have to break out the POP. It takes a while for those Intex filters to clear up a pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you.

12. Back To Top    #12

Should I run the SWG or leave it off? I turned it back on, but then I realized that maybe I should leave it off!?

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, I decided to turn the SWG off. I am not having very good patience I guess. I tested this morning and cc is still 2. I thought I'd be okay by now. Is it normal for this to go on so long? I've been working on this since Sunday morning. I'll keep it at/above shock level I guess. Which number should I be aiming for, the 18 that I found at thepoolcalculator or the mustard algae number? Just so you know I've been keeping it at/above mustard algae level.

14. Back To Top    #14

I think normal shock level is fine. You can run the swg while you're shocking to help keep some FC up, but be sure to turn it off before you run the OCLT!

It can take a while to complete the shock process, but three days isn't long at all. Just keep after it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

wow, really? Okay, that makes me feel better. I'll keep at it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by imcj
    wow, really? Okay, that makes me feel better. I'll keep at it.
    Some people with swamps have gone on for weeks. I think once you have to clear algae you realize that preventing it really is much easier (and cheaper). Also anytime you let the FC drop below the shock level, the algae can start to grow again. Algae also forms a protective layer which is why you want to brush the pool to break up any colonies.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

17. Back To Top    #17

thank you...I'll keep it up!