New filter, bubbles, cloudy water - help please.

What are your "floor returns" for? Are these your only returns? Could you operate the pool with them blown out and shut off/plugged?

- Sent using Tapatalk

I have four returns. Two on the side walls in the deep end and two returns on the floor of the shallow end. I guess it could operate with just the wall returns, but I have never tried it.

Thank you.
Lucy

I bought calcium hypochlorite granular as a shock for my pool back in late July. I have shocked the pool twice. (i fill up one of those DE orange pails). Each time i shocked, the pool got very cloudy. I originally thought that there was something wrong with the filter. Yesterday, I shocked it to "close", and my pool went from perfectly clear to cloudy again. It's 24 hours and it's better but still cloudy. Why would shock make my pool water cloudy? I know you are advocates for BBB, and I plan to change next year, but does cal hypo have a clouding property?

My numbers before shocking are listed above. Since shocking, I am over the top with chlorine readings and I need to wait for them to come down. The reagent colors did not register color changes properly.

Lucy

Got it! Tried the calculator. Easy. Should have not just dumped. I over-dosed on the calcium hypo AND PH plus. FC is OK tonight and Pool is clear again. Based on the pool calculator, a PH of 8.2 requires muriatic acid. I am going to wait a few days to see if it goes down before adding muriatic acid. (I have never had to add PH minus before...) Of course, I never did an un-calculated amount before... The pool store told me what to do an Sold me the chemicals to do it. The new readings are:

TA 140
TCH. 170 (I am slowly adding calcium hardness up.)
CYA. 100
FC. 5.0
PH. 8.2

Lrooth said:
Got it! Tried the calculator. Easy. Should have not just dumped. I over-dosed on the calcium hypo AND PH plus. FC is OK tonight and Pool is clear again. Based on the pool calculator, a PH of 8.2 requires muriatic acid. I am going to wait a few days to see if it goes down before adding muriatic acid. (I have never had to add PH minus before...) Of course, I never did an un-calculated amount before... The pool store told me what to do an Sold me the chemicals to do it. The new readings are:

TA 140
TCH. 170 (I am slowly adding calcium hardness up.)
CYA. 100
FC. 5.0
PH. 8.2

pH measurement tops out at 8.2! It will only go down if you use acidic chemicals like MA, dry acid, Trichlor, dichlor, etc.With your CYA you can't afford to use more CYA containing chlorine, leaving MA and dry acid as your only real options. Get the pH down ASAP it is only likely to rise if you don't take action.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Wow! I need to go buy it tomorrow. Won't be until after work at 6:00. What will happen?

It's going to rain an inch tonight which should bring it down. Rain in PA always makes the PH go down. I'll check it in the morning and make sure I get it right either way. Thanks for the alert!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.