I have maintained a 40,000 gallon pool for 15 years, taking pride and pleasure in sparkling water. It is a 50 year old concrete pool, which I had rehab with new lines, skimmers and a D.E. Nautilus 48, filter to name a few replacements, about 12 years ago.
Three weeks ago, my Nautilus filter cracked during the night with the filter running. I woke up to find the system shut down. Puzzled, I started it up and found water gushing from a crack, so I called my pool company for a new filter.
My pool company strongly suggested a Jandy cartridge 340 filter ($2,300 including replacement of three valves) and installed it about five days later, about three weeks ago. The problems:
1. My water is cloudy. Can see the bottom leaf, but it is not clear.
2. I have bubbles coming from four return lines (two floor, two side walls)
3. The pool company told me to hire a leak detection company ($300)
4. They said the lines they installed have nothing to do with the bubbles
5. I feel abandon ... Searching for answers as to why after 15 years, I have leaks, bubbles and cloudy water. I say its something with the installation or choice of filter. They just say to call a leak detection company.
I went to another pool store today to have my water checked, trying to eliminate the cloudy water issue. They said my water was chemically perfect. They suggested that the cartridge filter sometimes need clarifiers. They told me to add a clarifier and 3lbs more shock ( I had shocked last night with 8 lbs of calcium hypochlorite). Came home and I did the clarifier and three more pounds of calcium hypo and the water is WORSE! I can barely see my auto cleaner in the deep end!
My pool is about 10 feet higher and 20 feet away from my pool equipment room, which seems to be creating high flow rates. My skimmers are swirling strong. My pump is a Hayward 200 amp. The basket is swirling strong with some bubbles. It should be noted that the bubbles have decreased substantially over the last three days. Could I have had air in the lines from the install that is slowly dissipating?
I live in Pennsylvania, so it is pool closing time, which is putting pressure on me to trouble shoot now before I close the pool and pay the pool company.
Any guesses to what could cause these problems with the installation of a new filter? How would you suggest I proceed with finding the solution? I do have the leak detection company scheduled for Tuesday, September 4th.