Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water slightly cloudy still

1. Back To Top    #1

Water slightly cloudy still

Well unfortunately my pool was left for a while without being maintained and got just slightly green. So 2 days ago I shocked it and the green is gone / cc is at 0 according to this tester

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-K-1515-A-F ... ds=fas+dpd

I've got my other levels correct. Ph / ta / cya are in range. I've been cleaning out the filter twice over the last couple days and it has been getting stuff out but there's still a slight cloudy look to the pool. You can see the bottom but its not that crystal clear that's expected. Our filter is one of the intex cartridge filters so I was wondering if it just takes a while to clean the water up or if I do need to shock it again.
    3100 gallon - Round Intex AG - 1000gph intex pump -

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water slightly cloudy still

Raise to shock level, and keep it there until overnight FC loss is <1ppm, CC is .5ppm or less, and water is clear. Brush frequently, and keep the pump running.
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok so just to be clear if its still cloudy after shocking that means I didn't shock it enough? I know my pump is a inefficient piece of **** so just making sure.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

if its still cloudy after shocking that means I didn't shock it enough?
    More correctly, it is likely you didn't shock it long enough.

The three things that determine the end of the shock process are...
    1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Obviously #1 hasn't been met so keep it at shock value a little longer until your pool clears. Did you pass the other two criteria?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I had met 2. fine there wasn't even 0.2ppm registering and 3 I thought I had though I might have tested it wrong. This test takes a lot of drops when shocking :S I've started shocking it again and I'll keep it going till I'm sure it meets all the criteria.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just as a follow up, it may be that your pump and filter have to do the majority of the clearing process from this point on so clean the filter often and run the pump 24/7....vacuum as needed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Yea I'll see how it looks in the morning. This pump isn't powerful enough for a vacuum so I have to depend on its filtering lol that isn't very great. I don't mind waiting a few days just wondered what else to do.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Destoration
    I had met 2. fine there wasn't even 0.2ppm registering and 3 I thought I had though I might have tested it wrong. This test takes a lot of drops when shocking :S I've started shocking it again and I'll keep it going till I'm sure it meets all the criteria.
    You can use only 10ml of pool water instead of 25 and each drop counts as .5 instead of .2. This uses much less reagent.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

9. Back To Top    #9

Rubberband a cotton sock to the return and see if that helps it filter more quickly.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    Rubberband a cotton sock to the return and see if that helps it filter more quickly.
    I'll try that thanks. I tested the pool a bit late this morning but it lost 6ppm and the sun was only up a few hours. Its a bit clearer so I've still got it at shock level.