Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach shortage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach shortage?

This might be a moot point but I had a need for lots of bleach and had trouble finding the 182oz bottles anywhere. My wife ended up at Sam's and bought 21 bottles of the new 121oz 8.25% bottles. That was all she could get. She said they had 1 pallet left and people were grabbing it up, she got 7 cases. She asked the stock person why bleach was such a hot item and he told her that the Wal-Mart/Sams warehouse is out completely of the regular bleach in all brands. He said it was because they were transitioning to the new 121 oz bottles but I think that might be a load of waffle. Why would they not transition smoothly, its not like bleach doesn't sell?

Anyway, take it for what you paid for it. I have plenty of bleach. For now.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach shortage?

Stores around here still have plenty of the 6% on hand. It could be that they're just transitioning parts of the country at a time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We went to 2 Wal-Marts, a Target, Grocery store and only found 6 of the 121oz bottles today. I came home to sweep my pool and get my FC back to shock level and she went on a hunting spree. She went to 2 more Wal-Marts, a Kroger, and 2 Sams till she found this one pallet. Somebody did some poor planning on this transition. lol It looked like Y2K on the bleach isle.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Having the same problem here. Walmart, Target, and Heb are constantly out. I'm down to my last 3 jugs. Going to try Lowes and HD tomorrow even though it costs more. I do have the dreaded puck's (50lb tub came with pool) but that will be a last resort. Did they forget to ship to Texas? Lol
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

lol. Try sam's. look for the 121oz high concentration bottles. They are not HE but they say standard for HE machines. It is just normal bleach. I made this mistake and left the bleach isle at my first Wal-Mart with 12 bottles that I could have used. When I went back they were gone and I had not left the store.

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought out our local grocery stores last bottles of 6%. They're doing store resets to put in the new concentrated bleach and I don't think they predicted such high demand, so that's why there is a shortage right now.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought the last 3 121 8.25% bottles, though there was plenty ofsmaller expensive bottlesbof,clorox and lavender bleach. The smaller jug is nice I guess though I just got a feel for the new pool and now have to adjust my thinking. I had no idea they were switching so it caught me off guard.
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

8. Back To Top    #8

I still have 22 bottles left. My wife has always complained that when she told me she was going to the store and asked if I needed anything I always say bleach first. How are we going through so much bleach she asks? I use it to keep the pool clean and clear I answered. She would always swear a bottle a day was way too much. 2 months we have had our pool and enjoyed it alot. It turned green when I was sick and we lost the use of it for almost 2 weeks now. In the past week I have dumped about 17 bottles in to get it clean. A bottle a day doesn't seem so bad now especially since you can still swim in it at that point. In the past week I have bought 43 bottles of bleach and only have 22 of them left.

Now when she goes to the store she asks if I need bleach.