New to it all!

tjroux

Sep 1, 2012
Gardiner, ME
So heres the story... My wife and I bought a Intex Ultra Frame 14x48 above ground... after 2 days of "getting along" and almost divorcing 3 times, we had level ground and was putting water in it... It's been bliss ever since. Cant stay out of it and the kids wont stay out of it.

We have decided on the following:
We want a MUCH bigger pool in the back yard ( this is near our drive way now, flattest spot on our property )
We want to eventually put a deck around this new pool ( budget may dictate that the deck be installed the following season )
Budget dictates that it be ABOVE GROUND pool.
24 or 27 is the largest we can put in with the space that we have.

We have discovered the following:
We live in Maine, Pool season is April ( if your froggy ) till Mid September ( if your still froggy )
There arent a ton of places to shop pools from
Nobody likes Oval pools in Maine
Raidant, Blue Cascade, and Doughboy seem to be the brands that stick out the most

Does anyone have recommendations on pool brand and quality?
Were looking to keep the project ( pool and install ) under 7k
We want the "bestest for the leastest" attitude towards this pool, i dont want cheap because it's cheap, but i dont want to spend money where it is not needed

Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Blue Cascade is carried by 2 out of 2 shops within 15 miles... Something tells me they have good luck... one dealer had one that they have had for 13 years outside, and only replaced the liner because it was vandalized... the pool still looks fantastic....
Radiant is nice, but is 30-40% more on cost... just cant justify it... can almost buy 2 normal pools for the price of a radiant pool...

Went to more dealers today, most are selling the Blue Cascade brand ( Swim n play is a similar brand made by the same company )
Now the decision, 52 or 54 inches... i dont see a HUGE difference, and most want to BOWL out the bottom an additional 10 inches...
Any thoughts?

I'd go with the 24' x 54" pool. If you have small kids I'd insist on cake steps. It gives them a place to hang out until they're old enough to stand on the bottom.

I don't have a dished bottom but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I painted out a 24' circle in the back yard, and a 27 foot circle, the 27 just looks SOOOOOO much bigger, we'll have to decide later... and im not seeing a huge diff between 52 and 54, yeah it's 2 inches, but you COULD put 2 inches of water in the pool...

You hear it a lot, and I can say it's true --- get the largest you can afford $$-wise and space-wise. We bought at 24' this summer, and after delivery but before install we changed our minds and returned it for the 27' (52"). The reason we got 52" instead of 54" was because of our daughter's height, and in the end I'm not sure the couple inches depth matter that much, but the 24' vs. 27' round will matter.

I thank goodness every time we're in it that we went w/the larger size....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.