Aquapure flow sensor w/ Adapter board

Sep 1, 2012
I replaced my older 3x white expoxy sensor, due to low flow reading, it was corroded with a new one with black expoxy and an adapter board, but am now getting a HIGH SALT reading - I went through the calibration step and held the adapter board button until the flow LED illuminated, checked the firmware level - determined the jumper needs to be installed.

The previous flow sensor did not have an adapter board - does one need calibrate something else?

Of course, I did not do that.... I am a homeowner making repairs - :roll:

it was working previously, salt was normal, and the sensor went bad with a low-flow reading - I had it replaced once before so had been through the drill. this time, I purchased a sensor, but the snag was it came with adpater board, which I could not install without an interface cable. Back to Ebay... All said and done and connected, it did not work and was giving a NO FLOW indication, eventhough the adapter board's Flow LED was illuminated. double checked firmware level, jumper, reset, calibration - hmmmmm, still having problems. put it on SPA with 0% chlorine set and it stopped reporting any problems, and I had a soak while contemplating next moves :sleep:

It came on the next morning as usual, but with a HIGH SALT indication, so I let it run, while I posted my question - I checked it a few times and utlimately found the error is cleared, Salt is at 3900ppm and it APPEARS to be working- I'll run out and check the chlorine so I can establish a base line and see if it is really producing.

I was thinking I needed to calibrate something else, but it appears overtime, it took care of itself. still a little gun-shy

My PLC1400 is getting on in years - about 6 now - and I am considering replacing - Should I just drop in a new one or should I go with something else - this is the third sensor so am not in love with the Jandy brand, but all in all, it has performed pretty well? I hope the new adapter board and black epoxy sensor is an improvement.

Right now I have zero confidence with Jandy's sensors. My first sensor lasted 14 months and was replaced with the latest sensor and it died after 2 months. They installed another sensor about a month ago and it hasn't given me any troubles yet. My unit is still under warranty and I'm hoping Jandy figures this problem out soon.

Amen on the Jandy quality. When I replastered my pool in 2006, did a complete gut job on heater, filter, pump/motor and added an Aqualink PLC1400 SWG - at the advice of the contractor. "this is what I run..." In 2010 I had to replace the pump/motor combo as a seal had gone and caused th motor to self-destruct after 4 years. I put in a Hayward - will see how it does.

I used to have this old brass cast pump on a motor and I would take it in to my local shop everyt 5 to 10 years and he would remove the scale and corrosion that would cause them to separate and put pressure on the bearing and seize. It would be good as new.

2nd day of operation following sensor replacement and the first hour of operation - HIGH SALT 4100PPM, then settled on 4000 and the error went away. Cl is very high - I have turned the PLC1400 down to 20% - and most likely adjust down to 5% with a reminder to check Cl level in a week. I had it up to 65% for the hot weather -

On the sensor I removed, one of th electrodes is corroded with what looks almost like rust. the surrounding white epoxy is raised and separated a little from te sensor probe and stained brown too- almost appears to be heat damaged they way it is deformed and colored. Has anyone had any success boring out the corrosion stuff and re-casting in epoxy. I'd try anything to save the bucket of money that sensor cost.

ZombyWoof said:
On the sensor I removed, one of th electrodes is corroded with what looks almost like rust. the surrounding white epoxy is raised and separated a little from te sensor probe and stained brown too- almost appears to be heat damaged they way it is deformed and colored. Has anyone had any success boring out the corrosion stuff and re-casting in epoxy. I'd try anything to save the bucket of money that sensor cost.

My first sensor that failed was exactly like you just described. The tech said it was toast and replaced it. I never did get to see the second sensor as it failed the day before I went on vacation and the tech replaced it while I was gone. When the tech replaced my first sensor all the readings for the new sensor matched what the first sensor was reading.

That sounds like a nightmare- is their any calibration to be done. I'll have to buy a salt kit and test. Is there any hope of calibrating this turkey or do I need to add water and dilute the solt...

You really need to verify your salt level with testing before any attempt to calibrate it. When ever the SWG is saying low or high salt you should never do anything to the water until you have the salt level tested. There are some things that could electronically go wrong with the SWG that will show low or high salt. You should be able to use salt test strips to get an accurate enough level of salt in your water. If the strips read high, then you will need to drain some water and refill to lower the salt level. If the strips read low salt then you might need to try to recalibrate the SWG. I'm not too sure on how to recalibrate an Aquapure, but a search here at TFP might reveal some instructions on how to do it if it can be done.

My system has never needed to be recalibrated even with three different sensors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.