Chemical storage

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Ok, another chemical storage thread. I understand that you shouldn't store muriatic acid and bleach close together, but what about pool salt, calcium chloride, and dichlor? Can I store those with the bleach? I assume the dichlor should be safe with the bleach, but what about the others? Can one of these be stored with the acid?

The reason why I ask is that I have my acid stored in a pool box outside and chlorine in a separate pool box outside (both in shaded areas). I would like to put the other chemicals in the same containers, but not sure what would be safe.

Actually, Dichlor and bleach are not compatible, but are not nearly as problematic as Trichlor and bleach and that's not nearly as problematic as Cal-Hypo with Trichlor (see the video in this link). The other chemicals (salt, calcium chloride) are not a problem with any of the chlorine sources. If the Dichlor is in a tightly sealed container and this is a ventilated box outside, then I don't see it as a problem. Even having acid and chlorinating liquid or bleach which are not compatible, but having them in a well-ventilated box is not an issue unless BOTH containers were to leak. The key is ventilation since both containers have pressure-relief caps.

wow that's scary. This never even occurred to me. I keep everything in an outdoor plastic box/mini shed. Bleach, Acid, DE, chlorine pucks, calcium hardener, some kind of stabilizer/shock samples I got free. Should I separate some of these items. Thanks.

Cajun said:
wow that's scary. This never even occurred to me. I keep everything in an outdoor plastic box/mini shed. Bleach, Acid, DE, chlorine pucks, calcium hardener, some kind of stabilizer/shock samples I got free. Should I separate some of these items. Thanks.

+1

I have my trichlor tabs in the original plastic bucket with lid, each individually wrapped, in the same deck box as my 1 lb cal hypo packets from Leslie's which are in a different plastic bucket (actually, they are right near each other). Been that way for over a year. Yikes!

I keep all the solids (cal-hypo, trichlor tabs, calcium increaser) in the same outdoor storage unit in the big locking tubs that they are sold in, I don't ever buy pre-measured packets.

I keep the bleach or liquid shock in the laundry room in the box and still sealed. I keep the acid in the other side of the laundry room in the box and still sealed. I keep the open jug of acid on the pool porch.

I rarely have an open jug of bleach as I typically dump the whole jug but if I have one, it is about 5 feet away from the acid jug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.