Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical storage

Ok, another chemical storage thread. I understand that you shouldn't store muriatic acid and bleach close together, but what about pool salt, calcium chloride, and dichlor? Can I store those with the bleach? I assume the dichlor should be safe with the bleach, but what about the others? Can one of these be stored with the acid?

The reason why I ask is that I have my acid stored in a pool box outside and chlorine in a separate pool box outside (both in shaded areas). I would like to put the other chemicals in the same containers, but not sure what would be safe.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical storage

Actually, Dichlor and bleach are not compatible, but are not nearly as problematic as Trichlor and bleach and that's not nearly as problematic as Cal-Hypo with Trichlor (see the video in this link). The other chemicals (salt, calcium chloride) are not a problem with any of the chlorine sources. If the Dichlor is in a tightly sealed container and this is a ventilated box outside, then I don't see it as a problem. Even having acid and chlorinating liquid or bleach which are not compatible, but having them in a well-ventilated box is not an issue unless BOTH containers were to leak. The key is ventilation since both containers have pressure-relief caps.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info! That video is alarming...
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

wow that's scary. This never even occurred to me. I keep everything in an outdoor plastic box/mini shed. Bleach, Acid, DE, chlorine pucks, calcium hardener, some kind of stabilizer/shock samples I got free. Should I separate some of these items. Thanks.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    wow that's scary. This never even occurred to me. I keep everything in an outdoor plastic box/mini shed. Bleach, Acid, DE, chlorine pucks, calcium hardener, some kind of stabilizer/shock samples I got free. Should I separate some of these items. Thanks.
    +1

I have my trichlor tabs in the original plastic bucket with lid, each individually wrapped, in the same deck box as my 1 lb cal hypo packets from Leslie's which are in a different plastic bucket (actually, they are right near each other). Been that way for over a year. Yikes!
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep all the solids (cal-hypo, trichlor tabs, calcium increaser) in the same outdoor storage unit in the big locking tubs that they are sold in, I don't ever buy pre-measured packets.

I keep the bleach or liquid shock in the laundry room in the box and still sealed. I keep the acid in the other side of the laundry room in the box and still sealed. I keep the open jug of acid on the pool porch.

I rarely have an open jug of bleach as I typically dump the whole jug but if I have one, it is about 5 feet away from the acid jug.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.