Can't get seal to stop leaking

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
Put my filter back together tonight, lubed the seal and tightened it all up and it leaked.

Took it apart again, clean it as well as I could. Put lots of lube on before and after the rubber o-ring. Then I tightened it really tight.

All was going well until the gauge read 20 psi and the started leaking really bad. Tried to tighten it up to get it to stop and it only got worse. Seems that the o-ring stretched when I tightened it up.

What can I do to get this to stop leaking? Also, should the o-ring be cut in half, meaning it is just a long snake not an actual ring? And finally why would my psi be 20 when I just washed all the DE out of the filter?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

well I think I'm going to have to get a new o-ring. This one is broken and it's just not going to make it around the tank.

I went to a few pool stores and can't find an o-ring. Problem is that we can't figure out which part number and because we don't know what year the filter was made.

There seems to be two, one that was made before 94 and one that was made after and I have no way of knowing what year.

Anyone have any idea on what to do? I could order the two o-rings, guy says it will take over a week to get one. This begs the questions, how do I keep my pool in good shape until I get one?

"And finally why would my psi be 20 when I just washed all the DE out of the filter?

on my perplex d.e. filter, 20 psi is past redline and dangerous, 7-8psi is normal for mine, but yours could be different, others im sure will chime in on that. did you replace the d.e. immediatly as soon as you turned on your pump after cleaning, if not that will cause your psi to rise.

do you use chlor tabs? if so i think you will be fine using 3-4 3" tabs in a floater and run the filter for maybe an hour or as long as you can w/ that leak, per day, till you get your parts and then you will know exactly which one you have. or if you have a bypass run that as you would normally for the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.