What percentage is this muratic acid?

chiefwej said:
The pool stores in my area carry either 30% or 31.5%. Lowes and Home Depot carry 15%. The price is about the same.
My pool store doesn't carry it and my home depot is where I get 31.45% MA. I get it from outside in a single cardboard package with two one gallon jugs for about $9.

- Sent using Tapatalk

chem geek said:
Hardware/big-box stores often have the higher strength (31.45%), but as noted it fumes more than the half-strength (14-16%). If the half-strength is around half the price, then one might want to use it just to avoid the fuming.

LOL - if ONLY. The posts I have seen are pretty universal. The half-strength is full price. :rant:

When I last looked (which was a while ago -- I think it was last year), Muriatic Acid at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) was sold in two parts of the store and the half-strength version was roughly half price. Of course, I'm not surprised it depends on the store and that some try and get away with selling half-strength at full price. The packaging and shelf space volume has cost associated with it so should make the half-strength a little more than half the price of full-strength, but that would be cost plus pricing instead of "market" pricing. Lowe's has 1 gallon full-strength for $7.68 while Home Depot has 2 gallons of half-strength for $10.98 so $5.49 per gallon so full-strength is the better deal.

imrodee said:
nomad26 said:
WHen you say stronger MA what should I be looking for ?
For sure I will try and find it more then what I have now which is 14.5 percent which I think I bought at Home Depot

It will say on the jug - 31%

WARNING - Don't stand downwind when you open the bottle. :shock:

I can second this. I got a whiff of some 31% ma and dropped the bucket while pouring in pool. Got a few stains on new concrete now. Good thing we are staining it.

That safe stuff I was asking about is Crud though. I used a whole jug in 2 days and my ph never got below 7.6. 20 ounces of 31% and it dropped to 7.4 in 30 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad26 said:
I agree with Kyle I put in almost a gallon of 14.5 and the PH barley dropped . Tomorrow I am headed to Leslie's to get the 31 percent.
Something fishy... 1/2 strength should work but just take 2x as much. However you are not the first to say this. Could the safety acid be even weaker than claimed?

- Sent using Tapatalk

UnderWaterVanya said:
nomad26 said:
I agree with Kyle I put in almost a gallon of 14.5 and the PH barley dropped . Tomorrow I am headed to Leslie's to get the 31 percent.
Something fishy... 1/2 strength should work but just take 2x as much. However you are not the first to say this. Could the safety acid be even weaker than claimed?

- Sent using Tapatalk

I have looked all over the place for a percentage on the stuff I bought. I could only find where they said it was less than 25% but never a solid answer on what percentage it was. I know you can tell a huge difference though. You can by smelling the stuff when opened or pouring. The 31% stuff will knock you on your rear in a hurry like it did me. The safer stuff is almost odorless and does not irritate eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought the 31 percent Muratic Acid at Leslie's, 2 gallons for $14.06 . Home Depot nor OSH had the higher 31 percent. I tested the pool and the pool calculator said 9 oz of acid to bring my ph down I opened the bottle and forgot to hold my breath ! This stuff is strong. I am sure the 14 precent was my problem. This site is great always learning so much on here.
Thanks everyone.
Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.