Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What percentage is this muratic acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

What percentage is this muratic acid?

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=99&prodid=206

Just bought some at Walmart and can't find out what percentage it is. I see on the data sheet it says 25% concentrate but I do not see that on the pool calculator. Anyone know?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What percentage is this muratic acid?

Also just read where it says not to use with chlorine type bleaches. Does all muriatic acid say this or did I get the wrong thing.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, no one really knows for sure what percentage it is other than it being <25%...not real helpful. Also, in general it is more expensive then the higher concentration 31.45% stuff. I would just return it and get the full strength stuff. I have never seen any reports of "other extra stuff" in it though, so if your desperate, you could just adjust the poolcalculator result by multiplying by this ratio 31.45/25, and put that much in then measure in 1/2 hour and adjust again if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Also just read where it says not to use with chlorine type bleaches. Does all muriatic acid say this or did I get the wrong thing.
    Never mix Muriatic Acid ( of any concentration) directly with chlorine, one of the products is chlorine gas. Adding them separately in a pool is fine however.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks linen. I will probably just use this and adjust like you said being it was only $6 for a gallon. Not worth the hassle of returning. Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The pool stores in my area sell 30% or 31.5% at 2 gallons for $10.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Starting ph was 7.8 best I could tell. Hard to tell the difference between 7.8 and 8.2. I have added 50 ounces so far waiting 30-45 min between time and it still has not changed. Should I add more or is 30 min enough time?

7. Back To Top    #7

Also would like to point out I am shocking the pool. I started out with a Ph of 6.8 or so I thought. Added 200 ounces of borax per pool calculator. Then tested today and ph showing 7.8-8.2. Just read oh can show off if chlorine levels are at shock value. Should I wait until the morning before adding any more ma?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Also would like to point out I am shocking the pool.
    Don't adjust ph when the FC concentration is above 10 ppm, it will read high.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks. Live and learn. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon to get a good reading when fc comes down if I pass over night test.

10. Back To Top    #10

That is very weak muriatic acid. I got something similar at HomeDepot as they don't carry the higher concentration here in Durham NC. I ended up adding 6 cups to lower pH .5pp. I realized it was weak when I opened the bottle and couldn't smell anything. Good thing tho...it's so weak I was able to use straight up to clean deck chairs this year.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I am wondering the same thing . I Bought Muriatic Acid from Home Depot it says :
    Hydrogen Chloride......... 14.5%
    Inert ingredients..... .........85.5 %
    Total ...............................100%

How do I read this on the pool calculator my guess was 14.5 %
    I just want to check here that I am using the right number on the pool calculator ?
    Thanks
    6000 gallon Viking fiber glass pool Blue Safire with 250gallon Spa spill over , (Frog chlorinator not hooked up ) , Jandy filter cartridge, Sta-Rite heater 333 Btu , Liquidator

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, the Hydrogen Chloride is the acid concentration that you want to put into The Pool Calculator.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Yes, the Hydrogen Chloride is the acid concentration that you want to put into The Pool Calculator.
    Thanks Chem Geek ! No wonder I have been having problems dropping my PH levels
    6000 gallon Viking fiber glass pool Blue Safire with 250gallon Spa spill over , (Frog chlorinator not hooked up ) , Jandy filter cartridge, Sta-Rite heater 333 Btu , Liquidator

14. Back To Top    #14

When I'm inside at home depot the weak stuff is in the paint section. The strong stuff is outside but under cover.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

I can tell you it takes almost twice as much Walmart brand to see a difference in pH. We were trying to figure out why my pH would not go down after using the prescribed amount of MA.. Until I used the "good stuff!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Because of the difference in strength, MA is the one item that I find is cheaper at the pool store than anywhere else. It's twice as strong as the big box stores and cost about $5 per gallon.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

WHen you say stronger MA what should I be looking for ?
    For sure I will try and find it more then what I have now which is 14.5 percent which I think I bought at Home Depot

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

The pool stores in my area carry either 30% or 31.5%. Lowes and Home Depot carry 15%. The price is about the same.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by nomad26
    WHen you say stronger MA what should I be looking for ?
    For sure I will try and find it more then what I have now which is 14.5 percent which I think I bought at Home Depot
    It will say on the jug - 31%

WARNING - Don't stand downwind when you open the bottle.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks I will check my pool store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast