Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Insurance increase because of our pool with diving board

1. Back To Top    #1

Big Insurance increase because of our pool with diving board

Just got a surprise bill about $800 a year more than in the past. Agent says it's because they are very limited in companies that will insure a home that has a pool with a diving board. I guess I'm going to have to talk to another agent to see what I can do. Anybody else come across this issue?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big Insurance increase because of our pool with diving b

Ouch. Get some quotes from others. I've read some don't like diving boards and others it's slides.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

We have farm burea and called them about putting in our pool, no increase at all unless we want to increase coverage amounts. (no diving board though so not sure if that would make a difference)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

We had 2 different replies from Insurance companies:

Old company (can't remember name) - did not care if we had a diving board - increased cost if we had a slide

New company (discount thru wife's work -Amica I think) - did not care if we have a slide, would not cover us if we had a diving board

The diving board came out, we did not use it, and people can & do still dive in from the sides
    30 yr old 16x32' IG pool, ~16,600g, Hayward DE 4820 filter w/1.5hp pump, Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

We're with State Farm. Pool and diving board had no effect on our premiums. Specifically discussed diving board with our agent before putting pool in.

18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

I have AAA and our premiums did not increase when we added the pool. I researched about adding a diving board and that would not change anything either, but we did not install one. We did bump up to million dollar coverage and our premium increased $50. We have a 12" inch raised wall and 18" raised spa that the kids use as their launching pad. If we didn't have the raised wall I would have put in a board as the kids are constantly jumping in.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Our insurance didn't raise rates for putting in a pool... said the access to water in case of fire balanced out the risks. We didn't put in a diving board or slide, so didn't ask about that... funny how differently insurance companies handle things.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Ours threatened to cancel us so we had to pull the diving board and platform out. They even sent someone back to confirm it. They also didn't like our trampolene.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Diving boards get a bad rep. I've seen exponentially more trampoline injuries than diving board injuries. In fact, in 14 years of ER nursing, I can only recall one diving board injury and it really wasn't the diving board's fault. It was the beer's fault.

Don't get me started on motorcycles though.

10. Back To Top    #10

USAA had no increase for a pool. I didn't ask about a diving board, but they said they don't care anything about pools. All they wanted to know is if I have a pet and if it has ever bitten anyone.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    USAA had no increase for a pool. I didn't ask about a diving board, but they said they don't care anything about pools. All they wanted to know is if I have a pet and if it has ever bitten anyone.

No issues here niether with Erie Insurance ....suprised they didnt ask what breed of pets as well...alot of discrimination against certain breeds out there. (But thats a whole other topic)
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey John...I would get multiple quotes. Unfortunately, I have found through personal the insurance industry does not seem to value customer loyalty. Folks in their 2nd to 3rd policy term seem to get stuck paying for new customer teaser rates.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00
    Quote Originally Posted by crek31

No issues here niether with Erie Insurance ....suprised they didnt ask what breed of pets as well...alot of discrimination against certain breeds out there. (But thats a whole other topic)
    When I was with my ex husband, we had 2 dogs. A male German Rottweiler and a lab/pit mix. The insurance company was more concerned with my brother's mutt outside than with the house dogs. All 3 were very well behaved with people but I found it odd that they would go after the mutt outside (she had an issue with killing furniture. We built her a nice box and enclosure... she'd of rather slept on the garage floor!)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Unfortunately, I have found through personal the insurance industry does not seem to value customer loyalty. Folks in their 2nd to 3rd policy term seem to get stuck paying for new customer teaser rates.
    True that....
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

My issue was not a diving board, or slide, but the fence around the pool. Allstate told me I had 90 days to fence it in, then dropped me 10 days later. Nationwide said I had to have a fence, and my agent said the rails I had up for hanging pickets constituted a 3 rail fence...whatever.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

16. Back To Top    #16

An old thread I know, but I was going to post about how I was suprised that my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) said there would be no increase in my premium for an in-ground pool as long as it was inside a locked fence. I was suprised! Guess that isn't abnormal though.

I will have to double confirm if a diving board makes a difference based on some of the posts here though...
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by MassNerd
    I will have to double confirm if a diving board makes a difference based on some of the posts here though...
    Probably will. I just did the shopping/switching process. They didn't blink when I told them about the pool, but they were concerned about the fence/gate, and that there wasn't a diving board or slide.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by MassNerd
    An old thread I know, but I was going to post about how I was suprised that my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) said there would be no increase in my premium for an in-ground pool as long as it was inside a locked fence. I was suprised! Guess that isn't abnormal though.

This is good news. I have had liberty mutual for the past 16 yrs. hopefully the no cost increase is still the same when I call them today.

Pool Size: 20 x 40 Free Form Inground Plaster Pool w/ a shallow cove.
    Gallons : ~23K Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy e-pump 1.5HP
    Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump, AqualinkRS PDA4 Remote, Aqua-Pure SWG
    Jandy LED Pool Lights (2), Heliocol 500 Sq. Ft solar rack system

19. Back To Top    #19

I talked to my insurance confirmed a diving board was OK because I'm an existing customer. However they did clarify that if I was a new customer they wouldn't insure me because of the diving board. So that doesn't make me feel very good about diving boards. I'm afraid they will turn around someday and change their mind.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

20. Back To Top    #20

Hubs has been with Farmers when he was married to his starter wife, as the agent was a family friend.

Fast forward 20 years... we have our home, multiple vehicles and two life insurance policies with them. Last fall we replaced the roof and the agent came out to check (?! never has done this before), saw our toy Intex draining, advised hubs that, even though we have a fenced yard, we need a safety fence around the top of the pool, but there shouldn't be a premium increase.

We're upgrading to a permanent AGP this year and plan on buying the safety fence at the same time, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast