Need opinions on Pool Quotes

Aug 31, 2012
First... I am so thankful that I came across this forum. The information that I have learned on pools and pool construction has been extremely helpful.

We have spent the summer gathering info and pool quotes (gunite pool) from local PBs. We have one PB that we are leaning towards using, but I wanted to get an outside/non-biased perspective before we sign the contract. I am getting a lot of pressure from the PB that gave us quote#1 and I'm not sure I trust him (messed up on calculations, tried to sell me UV)

Quote 1 (PB that we don't think we'll use)
21 x 34.. 450 sq feet
7 ft spa
1/2 Grade 60 Steel Rebar on 10 inch centers (shell)
1/2 Grade 60 Steel Rebar x4 (Bond Beam)
12" Bond beam, 8-10" walls/floor
2 inch 40 PVC pool pipes
4 Directional Inlets
2 Pentair Skimmers
Spa pipes 2 1/2 inch 40 PVC
Main Pump - Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump
Pentair Cartridge Filter and MasterTemp Heater
Polaris blower
Pentair 120V lights
Pebblesheen
Sundeck
Price: 56K

Quote 2:
20 x 35.. 530 sq feet
7 ft spa
3/8 in Steel Rebar on 10 inch centers
1/2 in continuous 4 bar beam
Skimmer
3 returns
All plumbing with schedule 40 pvc, pressure test at 40 psi
Main Pump - 2 hp Hayward Tristar pump (2-speed)
Hayward Cartridge Filter and Heater
1.5hp blower
3 LED lights
Diamondbrite (but will upgrade to Pebblesheen for about $1000)
Sundeck
Price includes upgrade to SWG
Price: 50K

I feel like I can trust the PB from Quote #2 more than #1. But I do have some concerns on quality (hasn't done many pools with pebbletec... really pushes gray plaster). What are your thoughts? Opinions? Questions I should be asking?

Thank you all so much!

First off, without knowing where you are, it's impossible to say how competitive your prices are. Pool prices very wildly across different parts of the country.

At a glance, Quote 1 appears to have a bit more than Quote 2 in terms of the pool's construction. For example, it appears that Quote 1 has 2 skimmers and 4 returns, while Quote 2 has 1 skimmer and 3 returns. Also, Quote 1 uses more 1/2" rebar than does Quote 2.

Quote 2 appears to be a larger pool than Quote 1, based on the square footage you've listed. Also, Quote 2 includes the SWG, whereas this isn't listed for Quote 1.

Personally, I'd rather have an Intelliflo pump than a 2-speed...but I don't think it's a huge concern.

Questions to ask?

Here's a few:

1. How many LED lights are included with Quote #1?
2. Automation systems aren't listed in either quote. I'd ask if they're included, or what the charge would be to add one?
3. Quote 2 doesn't list the size of the PVC piping....I'd ask for at least 2" pipe.
4. What are their payment schedules? (Which one leaves a larger last payment?)
5. Is all electrical and plumbing included with these prices, or will there be additional charges for those?
6. What is their typical length of construction from start to finish?
7. How "hands on" is the PB? (Many just let their subs do the work, and aren't even present to inspect anything).

Above are just some questions I'd probably ask...I'm sure others will chime in here with more for you.

Thanks for your quick reply. I believe all electrical and plumbing is included in the quotes, but I will double check.

Quote 1:
- doesn't have LED lights.
- The automation is Pentair EasyTouch PS-8.
- Payment is 10% at signing, 40% after excavation, 40% after gunite, 5% after decking, 5% at Preplaster walk.
- 30-45 days construction
- My gut feel is that the PB will be very available

Quote 2:
- automation is Hayward E-4 automated control with wireless remote (but he said he would upgrade it with the SWG system).
- Payment is 30% after excavation, 35% after gunite, 30% after decking, and 5% at the end (I think... my husband didn't take very good notes on this)
- 30-45 days construction
- References have said that the PB isn't as easy to get in touch with as they had hoped

While others may disagree, I would probably try to push PB #1 to include Pentair Intellibrite LED lights and an Intellichlor SWG system. (The Easytouch 8 comes with or without the Intellichlor SWG...you could probably check online to get an idea of the cost difference). Personally, I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a PB I felt more confident about, so you'll want to keep that in mind as well....especially for peace of mind should support be required later on.

(I'm a fan of the Intellitouch/Easytouch Pentair systems, as they can be controlled, with the optional Screenlogic interface, via an iPad or iPhone).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.