pool water

Almax

Aug 31, 2012
I just had the 35,000 gallon pool replastered, new tile and brick and new water brought in. What is the first item to stabilize in pool--- chlorine, PH, or alkalinity?? Have added stabilizer, chlorine, ph down, muriatic acid, and my ph reading is 8.5; chlorine is showing no detail at all or zero. I had also added Metal Out (sequestering agent) My alkalinity reading is 70. Got any ideas???

Get your pH down VERY soon. That is wa-a-a-y to high. How did you get a result of 8.5?

Almost no pool testing goes beyond 8.2.

You will need some other things but get your pH down first, then read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

First off I've typed this for my husband and entered 8.5 rather than 8.2 (apologies given)

As stated I've just had my pool replastered and although I've taken care of a pool for 25 years or so I am having difficulty getting the balance to the water. I looked for some advice on this site -- and have been seriously attempting to reduce the PH and get the correct balance.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what product to use to reduce the PH??

In addition to the sequestering agent the following products have been added -- stabilizer, chlorine, ph down, muriatic acid in good amounts.

Does ANYONE have a suggestion as to what to use to lower this PH???? Thank you -- when I can take some time away from the pool i shall sit down and read "The ABC's of Pool Chemistry".

We recommend muriatic acid to lower the pH.

Use the PoolCalculator.com to calculate needed doses.

The trichlor tabs are a good way to add chlorine and slowly add CYA to the new plaster. Also, since they are acidic they will help with the expected pH rise with new plaster.

Two links for your new plaster:

How to Start up New Plaster in Pool School here: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

and, the National Plasterer's Council Start-up Card here: http://www.npconline.org/assets/documen ... UpCard.pdf

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank you for your advice. The PH levels have started dropping and have reached a acceptable 7.2. Max has continued to treat the water as necessary and has tired arms from brushing the sides twice a day. Kids, grandkids and friends are all waiting to get in the pool again but will have to continue their wait. The Pool Calculator is great and we've started reading "The ABCs".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.