Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

pool water

I just had the 35,000 gallon pool replastered, new tile and brick and new water brought in. What is the first item to stabilize in pool--- chlorine, PH, or alkalinity?? Have added stabilizer, chlorine, ph down, muriatic acid, and my ph reading is 8.5; chlorine is showing no detail at all or zero. I had also added Metal Out (sequestering agent) My alkalinity reading is 70. Got any ideas???
    Pool2628
    San Jose, Ca
    22.7k IG 13.4X36 Plaster / Hayward Star-Clear Filter
    Hayward RS750 Main Pump with Polaris PB4 Booster
    Teledyne/Laars Mark IV inop, going with SunHeater panels soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool water

The ph, Then get a little chlorine in there. You can use pucks to start they will do both and add cya...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Get your pH down VERY soon. That is wa-a-a-y to high. How did you get a result of 8.5?

Almost no pool testing goes beyond 8.2.

You will need some other things but get your pH down first, then read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

First off I've typed this for my husband and entered 8.5 rather than 8.2 (apologies given)

As stated I've just had my pool replastered and although I've taken care of a pool for 25 years or so I am having difficulty getting the balance to the water. I looked for some advice on this site -- and have been seriously attempting to reduce the PH and get the correct balance.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what product to use to reduce the PH??

In addition to the sequestering agent the following products have been added -- stabilizer, chlorine, ph down, muriatic acid in good amounts.

Does ANYONE have a suggestion as to what to use to lower this PH???? Thank you -- when I can take some time away from the pool i shall sit down and read "The ABC's of Pool Chemistry".
    Pool2628
    San Jose, Ca

5. Back To Top    #5

We recommend muriatic acid to lower the pH.

Use the PoolCalculator.com to calculate needed doses.

The trichlor tabs are a good way to add chlorine and slowly add CYA to the new plaster. Also, since they are acidic they will help with the expected pH rise with new plaster.

Two links for your new plaster:

How to Start up New Plaster in Pool School here: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

and, the National Plasterer's Council Start-up Card here: http://www.npconline.org/assets/documen ... UpCard.pdf

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

If your ph test results were 8.2 it could have been much higher than the reading you got but add muratic acid and test an hour later and repeat until you get a reading of about 7.5..... Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

MA should be added slowly in front of a return...pump should be running to circulate
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for your advice. The PH levels have started dropping and have reached a acceptable 7.2. Max has continued to treat the water as necessary and has tired arms from brushing the sides twice a day. Kids, grandkids and friends are all waiting to get in the pool again but will have to continue their wait. The Pool Calculator is great and we've started reading "The ABCs".
    Pool2628
    San Jose, Ca