Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running Pump 24/7 vs Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Running Pump 24/7 vs Timer

I'm in the process of replacing the motor on my Hayward Super II Pump (1 hp). What are the pros and cons of running it 24/7 or on a timer; besides the amount of electricity. I've always heard that starting and stopping electric motors is what "kills" them.

The motor I'm replacing ran for at least 2.5 years before getting hot and cutting off. The only time it's been turned off was during power outages. I do not know the true age of the pump because I got it from a pool guy to replace what seemed to be the original "Seablue" pump that I assume was ~25 years old. It was replaced due to lack of suction from years of use.
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running Pump 24/7 vs Timer

It doesn't make any significant different to the motor lifetime if you leave it running or turn it on and off with a timer.

A motor should last longer than 2.5 years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

''A motor should last longer than 2.5 years.'' even if it runs 24/7/365? lol
    Cant find the article, a study showed instead of having filter/pump on lets say 6 hours a day non stop, that it would clear water up better if filter/pump were on 4hours then stop then later another 4hours.
    Jason, would this be harful to pump in long run? thinking about trying it out.
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    ''A motor should last longer than 2.5 years.'' even if it runs 24/7/365? lol
    Cant find the article, a study showed instead of having filter/pump on lets say 6 hours a day non stop, that it would clear water up better if filter/pump were on 4hours then stop then later another 4hours.
    Jason, would this be harful to pump in long run? thinking about trying it out.
    Probably nit picking but 6 hours vs. 8 hours isn't a fair comparison in this case is it? It would be interesting if two 3 hour runs did a better job than a single 8 hour run or single 6 hour run - but if two four hour runs are better than one 6 hour run - that's not all that surprising.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know exactly how old the motor was that I replaced last week; I got it second hand about 2.5 years ago. One thing that I have hard before is that starting up an electric motor is what taxes them most. Whether that's true or not, I don't know for sure.
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter