We have not used our pool for the last month and all I did was make sure I added 2-3 cups of chlorine every few days, kept the solar cover on at all times and ran the pump 24/7. After a month of only adding chlorine, I finally was able to get to the pool, to test the chemical levels, brush the sides and vacuum the debris off the bottom.
Still NO ALGAE and all the chemical levels stayed within range. (Still planning on doing the OCLT just in case.)
If I had been using the pool store stuff like last year, I would not be excited, but instead worked up over the mess I would have had.
Thanks TFP and BBB rocks!