Roughly how much aeration to raise pH?

jamyers

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 12, 2012
There's never really been enough water pressure or flow to feed my slide, so I recently put my Harbor Freight utility pump to work - 3000GPH makes a HUGE difference! Then I got to thinking; "hey, lookit all those bubbles - that oughta be a good way to aerate and get the pH back up after I dose with MA to lower the TA".

I added MA 4 days ago, aiming to get the TA down from 170 to maybe under 100. I've left the pump running for the last 5 days, thinking surely that'd be enough to tell a difference - but nope, no change in pH, it's been steady at 7.2 while the TA has slowly dropped down to today's 110 (which may be an all-time low for this pool).

Last Friday I shocked the pool up to FC=22, now down to 11.5, CYA at 60. I was told that high FC will make pH read high incorrectly...so is my actual pH 6.8 or lower?

Here's a pic of the slide / aerator, you guys think this would be any good at aerating?

Attachments

• Pool Slide.jpg
    Pool Slide.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 195
I'm pretty new here, but I believe I have read on here several times that the pH test will not be accurate anytime FC is above 10ppm. So may want to wait until FC drops a bit more and retest.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk2

With your FC down to 11.5 ppm, your pH reading is probably accurate if you don't wait very long in taking a reading (i.e. don't let it sit too long -- read it soon after adding the R-0014 or R-0004 (depending on test kit). As for aeration, the water falling from the slide is only a little aeration. Compare to this one, this one or this one. Or you can hope for a hail storm :shock: (look after around 1:30 into the video).

I assume you have been using only a hypochlorite source of chlorine. If you've been using something acidic such as Trichlor, then that would offset any pH rise from the aeration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.