Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Roughly how much aeration to raise pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Roughly how much aeration to raise pH?

There's never really been enough water pressure or flow to feed my slide, so I recently put my Harbor Freight utility pump to work - 3000GPH makes a HUGE difference! Then I got to thinking; "hey, lookit all those bubbles - that oughta be a good way to aerate and get the pH back up after I dose with MA to lower the TA".

I added MA 4 days ago, aiming to get the TA down from 170 to maybe under 100. I've left the pump running for the last 5 days, thinking surely that'd be enough to tell a difference - but nope, no change in pH, it's been steady at 7.2 while the TA has slowly dropped down to today's 110 (which may be an all-time low for this pool).

Last Friday I shocked the pool up to FC=22, now down to 11.5, CYA at 60. I was told that high FC will make pH read high incorrectly...so is my actual pH 6.8 or lower?

Here's a pic of the slide / aerator, you guys think this would be any good at aerating?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Roughly how much aeration to raise pH?

I'm pretty new here, but I believe I have read on here several times that the pH test will not be accurate anytime FC is above 10ppm. So may want to wait until FC drops a bit more and retest.

15k gallon 17'x34' IG Pebble Play Pool (3x5x3), 1HP Emmerson 1081 Pump (x2), Pentair TR-100 Sand Filter, PCC2000 Paramount in-floor cleaning system

3. Back To Top    #3

With your FC down to 11.5 ppm, your pH reading is probably accurate if you don't wait very long in taking a reading (i.e. don't let it sit too long -- read it soon after adding the R-0014 or R-0004 (depending on test kit). As for aeration, the water falling from the slide is only a little aeration. Compare to this one, this one or this one. Or you can hope for a hail storm (look after around 1:30 into the video).

I assume you have been using only a hypochlorite source of chlorine. If you've been using something acidic such as Trichlor, then that would offset any pH rise from the aeration.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Or you can hope for a hail storm (look after around 1:30 into the video).
    Holy COW ... I am laughing hysterically ... that is crazy
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Or you can hope for a hail storm (look after around 1:30 into the video).
    Holy COW ... I am laughing hysterically ... that is crazy
    WOW!!!

So that's the goal then, huh? Hmm... I've got this outboard motor....
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.