Concentrated Bleach

WildAl

Jul 25, 2012
Has anyone noticed that Chlorox is now available at a higher concentration of 8.25% Since I went to BBB, I have been buying bleach at Sam's Club and just noticed it a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it's kind of a wash as you end up using about as much since it now comes in smaller containers, assuming due to the higher concentration. Not a bad deal at Sam's with a package of 3 jugs appx .95 gallons each jug for 8.80. Just thought that was interesting since it has been 6% for as long as I can remember.

UnderWaterVanya said:
The 182 oz jug at the same price would be a better deal.

Here's one way to do the math:

182 oz * 6% = 182 * 0.06 = 10.92 units of bleach
121 oz * 8.25% = 121 * 0.825 = 9.98 units of bleach
% = partial / total , so 9.98 / 10.92 = 0.91 = 91%

I rounded off some of the numbers, but they don't change the analysis. For pools you aren't getting as good of a deal as before if prices remain constant.

From the post Richard320 linked.

We unfortunately bought some of the "new" concentrated chlorox. We use it to shock our endless swim spa. Unfortunately we started having foaming (about the time we started using the new formula). We just noticed this evening that in addition to the chlorine - it also contains sodium hydroxide. Is that what could be causing the foaming? Any suggestions on what we should do to remedy this? In total, we've used a full bottle. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The sodium hydroxide is normal and is not the cause of foaming. Are you sure you got regular Clorox, even if more concentrated? It sounds like maybe you got the splashless or outdoor varieties. The following are the new concentrated Clorox bleaches:

OK to use:
Clorox® Concentrated Regular Bleach
Clorox® Concentrated Germicidal Bleach

DO NOT USE:
Clorox® Gentlebleach (not yet concentrated)
Clorox® Concentrated Scented Bleach
Clorox® UltimateCare® Bleach (not yet concentrated)
Clorox® Concentrated Splash-less Bleach
Clorox® Concentrated Outdoor Bleach
Clorox® Concentrated High Efficiency Bleach

That's it - didn't even notice the "splash-less" on the label until you outlined it. Will this eventually work it's way out? I hope we don't have to replace the water as we're on a watering ban and the pool and water are just one month old.

Thank you so much for the post and outlining which labels of Chlorox are ok to use!

It will eventually dissipate, break down, or get caught in the filter. You shouldn't need to change the water. You can speed things up by scooping out suds if there's really a lot of them. You can still use the pool in spite of the foam. Just be patient and think of your pool as a washing machine, at least for now. :-D :splash: :paddle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With all the changing of clorox lables and types I rarely look at the front of the bottles anymore. I just look at the back or side label where it list ingredients. It should list (for the new concentrate) sodium hypocloride 8.25% then other ingredients 91.75%. I have noticed these other blends sometimes don't list the breakdown of ingredients. Even store brands should list this if you don't see this then don't buy it.

copotay said:
Same here in Louisiana, new concentrated, looks like the calculator may have to be updated for the new size bottle since they are not going to have the big bottles any longer

You can change the % to 8.25 from 6, which will change the ounces you need to add. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.