possible leak around skimmer on inside of AGP

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
We replaced the liner this year and it seemed to be pretty good most of the summer. We have not been in the pool in about 3 weeks due to vacations, school, etc and I noticed the water was getting low, a bit lower than normal with evaporation. The first thing I checked was the skimmer by taking the faceplate off and checking the gasket, only to realize I may have put the gasket on wrong instead of in-between the liner and the wall of the pool. I also noticed the faceplate screws were not tight, so I assumed it was not getting a good seal. I stuck my hand down in-between the liner and the wall to find it soaking wet and rusted somewhat. I thought (for sure) the leak was right there. We put it back together correctly and tightened the screws up pretty good, filled the water back up to normal operating level and noticed the lowest end of the pool was wet on the ground, we dug a small trench and watched the water continue to trickle out. I did the food coloring test around the skimmer faceplate but was not sure what I am looking for? The dye seems to dissipate except for around the faceplate and it just kind of hangs around. What should I be looking for?

It should be a butterfly gasket. The gasket goes in the skimmer opening enveloping the steel wall the liner goes outside the gasket and the faceplate goes over that.

So it should be Skimmer > gasket > wall > gasket > liner > faceplate.

Since your liner is already cut you could envelope the wall and liner in the gasket and it would still work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.