Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: possible leak around skimmer on inside of AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

possible leak around skimmer on inside of AGP

We replaced the liner this year and it seemed to be pretty good most of the summer. We have not been in the pool in about 3 weeks due to vacations, school, etc and I noticed the water was getting low, a bit lower than normal with evaporation. The first thing I checked was the skimmer by taking the faceplate off and checking the gasket, only to realize I may have put the gasket on wrong instead of in-between the liner and the wall of the pool. I also noticed the faceplate screws were not tight, so I assumed it was not getting a good seal. I stuck my hand down in-between the liner and the wall to find it soaking wet and rusted somewhat. I thought (for sure) the leak was right there. We put it back together correctly and tightened the screws up pretty good, filled the water back up to normal operating level and noticed the lowest end of the pool was wet on the ground, we dug a small trench and watched the water continue to trickle out. I did the food coloring test around the skimmer faceplate but was not sure what I am looking for? The dye seems to dissipate except for around the faceplate and it just kind of hangs around. What should I be looking for?
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: possible leak around skimmer on inside of AGP

The dye should make a tiny tail toward the location of the leak. The water has to be really still.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The leak seems to have slowed down when the pump is turned off, which makes sense. I did the dye test again and I think it reconfirms my suspicion around the skimmer. What is the correct method for reinstalling a gasket on a skimmer?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

There should be instructions with the gasket but it's not difficult to figure out. You need to have a helper to hold the skimmer in place from the outside while you're inside.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The outside part of the skimmer has not moved, seems pretty solid. Exactly where does the gasket go on the inside of the pool?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

It should be a butterfly gasket. The gasket goes in the skimmer opening enveloping the steel wall the liner goes outside the gasket and the faceplate goes over that.

So it should be Skimmer > gasket > wall > gasket > liner > faceplate.

Since your liner is already cut you could envelope the wall and liner in the gasket and it would still work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator