About to begin a self-install..Questions

joallen001 said:
Any closeup pics of how you did the coping? I cant decide on pavers or concrete? I took some paver classes a few years ago and feel I might could do pavers as cheap on my own as subbing out concrete. I am just south of you in Huntsville and I have family in Clarksville. Nice build!
Thanks. I do have some pics. I will post soon when I get back in town.

Sorry Joallen001. This is the only pic I could find on the coping. As you can see, after doing the math on the radius, I used cardboard templates to make sure on the fit before I cut the coping stones. I used modified thinset to attach to the concrete footer that I formed and poured. PM me if you have any more questions.

janthony said:
Sorry Joallen001. This is the only pic I could find on the coping. As you can see, after doing the math on the radius, I used cardboard templates to make sure on the fit before I cut the coping stones. I used modified thinset to attach to the concrete footer that I formed and poured. PM me if you have any more questions.

I have the same type of corner and similar pavers. Just wondering how you managed to work out your cardboard templates - trial and error or did you have some kind formula to work to?

I used a formula based on the 2' radius with a 1" overhang gave me a 23" inside radius and a 35" outside radius due to the stones being 12" wide. Then you have to throw in the number of pieces of the pie you want to use. I'll try to dig up the formula for you later tonight. I don't want to get it wrong for you now.

I never had a formula, but when I curved the tile, I did it in degrees.

If you are making a 90 degree turn and using, say four tiles. Each tile has to contain on fourth of that turn 22.5 degrees or 11.25 degrees on each side of the tile.

You can also do it by length if you want...divide the outside radius by four and that is the length of the wide end of your tile......same for the inside

Because I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I made sure that would work by cutting the pieces out of some 1/4" plywood first and then used the plywood as a pattern for my cuts...much like janthony used the cardboard

PS - I think his cuts look a bit better than mine but not by much. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks duraleigh.

I was almost at the same point and your post got me over the line. Spent this arvo cutting out different sizes and came up with seven segments. I learnt that protractors are hopeless when you are dealing with 0.4 of a degree and a couple of ml here and there can make a big difference to the curve overall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.