Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to begin a self-install..Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

About to begin a self-install..Questions

First off, thanks for all the info here. I plan to start a self install IG Liner pool in the next week or so. My worry is not with the build itself, but I do have a couple of questions that may save some regret in the future. I will be building a pool house with equipment inside after the pool is in. How long after I finish the pool do I need to be circulating the water and getting the chemicals regulated? I worry that I'll have a green pond before I get the pool house ready for electrical/pump? Can I keep the mostly empty with the liner installed or do I need to fill when I install liner and backfill? Also, does anyone out there have the small (return size) savi-note led lights? I plan to use 3 in my 20 x 39 roman, but I hope that will be enough light?
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: About to begin a self-install..Questions

Once you install the liner, you must fill the pool immediately. The water is what holds the liner in place. YOu could probably add chlorine as you fill but you won't be able to go much more than a few days without circulation to prevent algae.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, makes sense. How about not installing the liner until I have my equipment pad ready, which could be a couple of weeks? Will it hurt anything to leave the poolcrete bottom exposed for a while? I could use a sump pump to avoid standing water. Thanks.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

If you use the sump pump it should be fine for a while. You can patch any place that needs it but it should be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

All my pool equipment arrived today and the nervousness and excitement has set in. I will be self-installing the following as soon as the weather straightens out here in Middle TN. Any thoughts or advice.(Good or Bad) I have tried to think of everything, but I don't want to have any regrets on what I wish I'd done. Thanks in advance for all the help I know this site will provide. Will post pics asap if I can figure out how.

20x39 Patrician Steel IG Liner
    10' Roman Steps Gray Granite w/jets
    2HP Hayward Tri-Star Pump
    4-Savi-note LED Lights w/ M4 Rainbow controller
    Cantilever Stone Coping
    Concrete Paver Decking
    Auto-Chlorinator w/ Mineral Supplement
    Hayward Sand Filter (Thinking of adding DE)
    36" Jandy Sheer Decent in deep end
    Umbrella Sleeves in deck
    20'x18' Pool House w/ 24 x 18 Pavillion(Gable Overhang)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Only thing I can think of that you forgot to mention were the pictures you are going to share, lol! Good luck on your build!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Are you planning on doing your own poolcrete?
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

No, I plan to sub out the pool crete, but that brings me to a question. The standard depth seems to be 2", but I plan to overdig to allow for 4". Anyone see any negatives to this idea other than more work?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

other than more work?
    A lot more cost, too. If your soil is solid, there is no reason to go much beyond 2-3 inches.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the engineering world for certain types of structures extra concrete is poured in them to add weight to combat floating the structure. Extra depth poolcrete could be helpful with floating.?
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't see your location, but if you are north, your fill water will be pretty cold (55-60F) and you could go a while before needing your pump working.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

extra poolkrete will have no affect on the structure of your pool, which won't float regardless.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

The only reason I was planning to go thicker was to reduce the tendency to crack. I assisted on a pool recently where the contractor installed 2" thick and the deep end was cracked before they finished the shallow end. It cracked while it was still wet! I just don't want any liner problems down the road with major cracks.

14. Back To Top    #14

GL. We just done a semi DIY. Hired out the dig, pool bottom and liner install. Saved 10k over quoted pb price. My only advice would be have a plan and hard Budget. We went over ours by 2k but that was because we decided to add more concrete and other small overages. The electrical was $900. I was budgeting $500. Little things like that add up.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

It cracked while it was still wet!
    Sounds like a bad mix. I am not a poolcrete expert but I don't think the thickness will help[ much on cracking.

A solid substrate and a precise mix is all you need.
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

Update on the install. Weather has been a bit wet here in TN, but I hope to start digging on Thursday. I have a couple more questions that I know you guys can help with. 1. Is there a good thread on how to import pictures to the forum? I'd like to post some as I get started. Also, My setup will have a couple of sheer decent falls and the installation instructs DO NOT USE WITH A SAND FILTER. I know the blades are picky about debris, but I already have my sand filter on site. Anyone out there have sheer decents with sand filters? Problems? Should I add a small cartridge filter just upstream from my waterfall valves? If so what size? Thanks again for all the help. This site has been a lifesaver.

17. Back To Top    #17

I've never heard any warnings against sand filters before. The openings are much larger than the particles a sand filter should let through.

As for importing pictures, the easiest thing is to get an account with a site like flickr or photobucket, upload the pictures there, and then paste the link from that site into the forum.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

18. Back To Top    #18

I know a person that has a waterfall and sand filter. He has never said anything about having any problems with it. GL on your build.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks. Hey kyle11, how do you like your aqualogic? I am trying to decide between that or Easytouch for my controller.

20. Back To Top    #20

I like the aqua logic very well. Can't compare it to anything but it does what I want it to. I plan on this week wiring up some light posts and program it to control those. I like the Ecostar combo also. I know the Ecostar has a built in timer that can do the same as far as timers go but having the option to add a wireless control that I can put in the house is nice. I think which pump you decide on decides on which one you go with though. From reading they both do about the same. One may do some things better and vice versa. Only thing I don't like is only having 4 available speeds on the Ecostar without having to go change the settings. What I mean by that is you set speed 1-4 whatever you want. Then you can go through 1-4 easily but if you want a speed in between you have to go into settings.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast