Dallas Newbie Here - Having trouble with "Reputable PB's"

pktman

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2012
I'm having a difficult time with with PB's not itemizing their bids. Is it too much for me to ask them what I'm paying? Anyone run into this? It's very frustrating to say the least. They're showing me numbers but not quantifying them. I ask for numbers broken down and the blow me off. Anyone got any tips for reading bids or dealing with PB's? This is worse than building a home or buying a car. :hammer:

Re: Dallas Newbie Here - Having trouble with "Reputable PB's

Typically an itemized bid should be no problem...seems that many, if not most, builders will supply them with no whining. If it were me, I would tell them an itemized bid is a prerequisite to even be considered. If they won't supply it, then I wouldn't consider them.

Thanks, I've interviewed 5 PB's and the smaller one's are gladly revealing everything - It's the larger reputable companies that are giving me trouble. I'm hearing all kinds of horse Darn.

You could always black out the competitor information on one of the transparent bids and submit it to them as a guideline of how you would like the budget broken down ;)

pktman said:
Thanks, I've interviewed 5 PB's and the smaller one's are gladly revealing everything - It's the larger reputable companies that are giving me trouble. I'm hearing all kinds of horse ****.

anthony and sylvan broke down their bid for us

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

pktman said:
Thanks - How all did you interview? How did they stack up against the competition.

I talked to Robertson, Hobart and Venture.

Robertson wasn't the cheapest of the three but they seemed to have all their ducks in a row. The answered everything very clearly and concise and we just got a great feel from them. They had also done a friend of mine's pool and when he had a small issue with his pump plumbing after a few months they were all over it and responded and got it fixed within two days.

I highly value customer service and feel that they were the best in our price range.

Greg

I interviewed several builders too. The one I went with was not the least expensive one, but the one I felt I could work with. We live south of Dallas in a very rocky area. We hit solid rock about 2 feet down. The local PB we used was well aware of what was under the grass here, and had the additional cost built in to his price. Some companies said IF they hit rock, it was $350 an hour. I don't like surprises. Not only that, but when we changed from a weeping wall to a grotto, he only charged us the difference. Some PB added the full cost without giving us "credit" for the wall we nixed. Same with the upgraded plaster.. He just charged us the difference in product and labor. He added decking at his cost when we decided to make the deck bigger.

I agree with Swampwoman.. make a basic format for your PB to use. Then ask some "what-if" questions. You'll find out pretty quick who you want to work with.

Good luck, and WELCOME! :wave:

regular digging crews are probably about $300/day (typical daily cost for bobcat/backhoe) and it should only take about a day to dig a typical pool. Rock crews should only cost about $800/day (backhoe with jackhammer + bobcat to haul rock) and should take about 4-8 days depending on the size of the pool. There is additional dump truck cost to remove the rock which is pretty expensive. I would say the hole alone and removal would probably cost in the 4-6K range vs. 300-800 for a dirt hole.

340/hour is completely ridiculous.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.