Hayward Super Pump 2hp vs 1.5hp

Kevink

Bronze Supporter
Jun 30, 2011
Austin, TX
My Hayward Super Pump II 2hp motor just died. It was 8 years old and squealing like a hog in the end.

My local pool store is telling me that I can get by and save on energy costs by switching to a Hayward 1.5hp motor. They said the output is roughly the same. I have a spa attached to the pool and in total everything is 13,500 gallons. My concern is for the jets in the spa. I do have a separate very powerful blower for the spa jets

Should I stick with 2hp or take the advice and go down to 1.5? Will I have to alter the running time of the pump? Any other factors to consider?

What are the listed HP and service factors for both motors?

You can use a smaller motor, but you may also have to replace the impeller if it is rated for the larger motor. Otherwise you may burn out the smaller motor.

Likely you would not have to alter the run time as the flow rates are probably pretty close. As long as the pool is staying clean you are fine.

If you were just going to replace the motor, you should seriously consider a 2-speed motor. Running on low will save a lot of electricity and you can manually switch to high for using the spa (or add a timer to switch speeds automatically).

Thank you for the response.

The exact replacement motor they're suggesting for my Hayward 2hp is an A.O. Smith Eplus 1.5hp. The service factor of the new motor is 1.3. I don't know what the SF is of my Hayward. If there was a label on the motor its since flaked off. It was installed in 2004. I see online that the new ones have a SF of 1.0.

As for the impeller, the pool store asked me to bring in everything but the wet side of the pump and they'd replace the seal and so forth and have it ready for installation. I'll mention what you said about the impeller.

Well the new motor is a SFHP (1.5*1.3) = 1.95HP ... so if your old motor had a SF of 1 ... the motors are functionally equivalent and thus won't save you any electricity money, but should give the same flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.