Best product to use for grout repair!

shazza

Mar 10, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
What is best product to use for cracks in grout between bottom of coping & top of tile? (above water line) I found sanded & unsanded grout in tubes for bathroom repair but it is not recommended for exterior use. Tried caulk but it doesn't last.

We live in Pennsylvania so we get freezing & thawing.

Why polyurethane over silicone (something like DOW 790, for example)?
I don't know what dow 790 is but I have found polyurethane to provide a more rubber-like texture and to really take a good "bite" into masonry. It is paintable and seems to remain very flexible even in direct sunlight. It is messier to work with but I think worth it.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Qwaxalot said:
Why polyurethane over silicone (something like DOW 790, for example)?

I my personal opinion ... silicone is the worst product ever invented :mrgreen:

It does not last outside, you can not remove all traces of it when trying to replace it, and nothing will stick to it (including the new caulk you are trying to replace it with).

My experience comes from:
-RV repair shops using it to cover up leaks. The silicone will separate and start leaking again and you can not remove it completely to be able to install the correct caulk
-The previous yahoo owner (or investment company) of our house that thought it was a good idea to put white silicone around every light switch and outlet plate. Which is now impossible to remove from the wall thus making it near impossible to paint the walls because it does not stick to the silicone :rant:

I think it is OK for use inside in bathroom applications (although again recaulking becomes difficult). But I do not think it is a good choice for exterior application with large temperature deltas or sun exposure ... I think there are better options, although more expensive.

shazza said:
What is best product to use for cracks in grout between bottom of coping & top of tile? (above water line)
I've used E-Z Patch® 22 at http://www.e-zpatch.com/gallery2.htm.

It worked for me, just as advertised. I first used it over 2 full seasons ago (like in Sept. 2010) and it has "stayed stuck," stayed flexible, and stayed just as white as the day I applied it.

Now, I'm no caulk expert. Maybe I could buy the same stuff at HD cheaper, but I wouldn't know what to buy. Maybe I'm lucky that this stuff worked for me as well as it has. But, so far, I'm happy with it.

After you get all the suggestions you need, please report back and tell us what worked for you.

Thanks!

The reason I asked, is because we've been using DOW 790 (UV stabilized, chlorine resistant, with a high modulus of elasticity) for years to caulk between coping and concrete deck. Most applications last 10 plus years. Although I do have to admit, it's a PITA to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.