Painting existing concrete

SCOTTB

Aug 29, 2012
Hello,

We need to paint or re-finish our 25+ yr old pool - concrete with stainless sides, 42 x 20 in central ohio. Not certain what types of paint have been used over the years. Suspecting rubber at some point and most recently a water based which lasted about 2 years before it started turning from aqua blue to light blue to near white. Anyway we've powerwashed with a heated water pressure washer and it seemed to take the top layer off nicely and gets down to some of the concrete if you lean on it but mostly leaving some previous layers for paint.

My question is what would be the best paint and/or is plaster a viable alternative at this point? We've had lots of suggestions and are leaning towards epoxy - just want to be sure it will bond. I saw a post where someone said sandblast - they even said it was a "piece of cake" just a hassle removing the sand. If we did this i suppose we could use one of several types of finishes.

Thanks for any tips!

I agree with Swimcmp if you are set on painting. Shoot us a pic. If you have the budget and it's possible a chip/plaster job will be th longer lasting solution. Paints, including epoxys just don't do well in pools.

Thanks for the response. Lots of other projects going on right now so the budget is tight for this one. Maybe fix it for a couple of years then figure out a more permanent or longer lasting upgrade.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2012_pool_painting1.jpg
    2012_pool_painting1.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 104
Not that I have experience here and perhaps some of our ITI folks can chime in, but is there an opportunity to go the vinyl liner route. That's a very nice looking pool and reminds me of the typical IG vinyl liner pool, except there is no vermiculite bottom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.