Mt. Airy, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I purchased a home with a plaster in ground pool early this summer. Knowing ahead of time that I would be getting a pool, I read the pool school and forums thoroughly so that by the time I closed on the house, I could start to care for the pool. I wrote into the offer for the house that they pay to have the pool opened by the local pool company (Cozy Pools), and I come and watched them open the pool.

I used the BBB methos all summer and (I think) have had great success in keeping a very clean and well balanced pool. I appreciate the ease of keeping a pool this way, and that proper testing can make things so easy and straightforward.

Now it is time to close, and even though I have read the forums on closing I am not comfortable doing this myself. It seems like I could leave a lot of damage if I miss something. What are newbies experiences in closing on their own? The pool co is very expensive, espeially considering a lot of the technical part is done by the pool owner ahead of time. I don't mind paying once to see how it is done, but the guys that came to open did not speak much english, and really didn't seem to know exactly what they were doing for my particular pool - they just did the same thing they do everywhere - no more, no less.

Since so many people see caring for the pool as a hobby, I wish there was a 'club' and I could invite over another experienced pool owner to give me some guidance and 'double check' my methods.

I was in the same boat two years ago. I did pay for the pool company to close the first year we owned our home and trust me when I tell you it's a waste of money. The company (also the builder) did not drain the pool, the did not put the winter cover on. Really the only thing they did do was add chemicals and blow out the lines! Last year I closed myself with the help of my 12 year old daughter and it was easy. Keep in mind that no one cares as much about your pool as much as you do. Get a shop vac, make a check list and go slow.

You should be able to find all the information you need for closing your pool here in the pool school section, and the forum. If you have questions along the way, ask... there are plenty of people who have been where you are... and chances are, you will do a better and more thorough job than the pool company.

Thanks Lewiston and Suziqzer! I read through all of that, and it seems very straightforward, my main concerns (and maybe I should post about it in the main part of the forum) is that it seems that my pump is below grade from my main drain - so I am worried about getting water out of the lines. I can assume that the line from the Main Drain rises significantly (maybe to skimmer level) before going down to where my pump is (pool built at top of hill, pool equipment down the hill) leaving a rise so I could break the siphon effect......but assumptions are scary.