1st water test.

kyle11

May 17, 2012
Water has been sitting for almost 2 weeks and is now cloudy and slimy. Here are the numbers. I have a aqua ps 15 SWG but it is not running right now as I am under the understanding I need to adjust my water 1st. I have read bbb but just want someone to put me on the right starting path. I would think bring up to shock level and when I pass the overnight test worry about the other stuff? 20k gallon inground

Pool pool parameters are:

pH: 6.8
FC: 0
Alkalinity: 130
Calcium: 70
Cyanuric Acid: 0
Cc: 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first things first how did you test the water...ie pool store strips? and IF those numbers are accurate the first thing i would do is get my ph up to around 7.2 assuming it is 20,000 gallons it would take 170 of team mule 20 borax to get the ph to 7.2. is this a new fill if not have you used any pucks or added any stabilizer? if not i would add 80 oz by weight of granular stabilizer in a sock in front of the return jet but dont let it touch the liner as it can discolor it which will get you to 30 ppm cya, and get , and go read pool school, shocking your pool and the abc's of water chemistry .......Mike

I think you just finished your pool and this is a new fill, right? Well, I am assuming that no chems have been added yet:

As 1971 mentioned, first get the pH in the low 7's. A pH lower than 6.8 will also read 6.8, so make sure you retest after dosing and confirm the change.

Second, add 30PPM CYA via sock method and start the shock process as described in Pool School.

You will need more CYA later for the SWG, but all that should be done later. Use bleach/liquid chlorine to shock. Leave the SWG off for now.

Butterfly said:
I think you just finished your pool and this is a new fill, right? Well, I am assuming that no chems have been added yet:

As 1971 mentioned, first get the pH in the low 7's. A pH lower than 6.8 will also read 6.8, so make sure you retest after dosing and confirm the change.

Second, add 30PPM CYA via sock method and start the shock process as described in Pool School.

You will need more CYA later for the SWG, but all that should be done later. Use bleach/liquid chlorine to shock. Leave the SWG off for now.

Yes the pool should be done soon. The tests were done with the tft100 and you are correct nothing has been added.

1st question. How long to wait after adjusting ph doni wait before testing and adding cya? I will get enough cya for 80 cya and put in enough for 30 for now. Just to confirm get any bleach the is at least 6%. Thanks.

kyle11 said:
Butterfly said:

Yes the pool should be done soon. The tests were done with the tft100 and you are correct nothing has been added.

1st question. How long to wait after adjusting ph doni wait before testing and adding cya?
Adjust the pH, circulate for about 30 mins and retest to confirm that you have target.
Once pH is confirmed, you can then hang the CYA sock in front of a return. Give it a squeeze every now and then to help disperse.

I will get enough cya for 80 cya and put in enough for 30 for now.
Yep.

Just to confirm get any bleach the is at least 6%.
Yes, but plain, unscented bleach. Clorox and Walmart brands are used lots around here. I suggest you stay away from dollar store bleach regardless of brand. You can also price liquid chlorine (pool store, walmart, big box stores) and see if you get a better deal. Thanks.

Thanks for your help butterfly. I have added everything this evening

Ph: 7.6 ( accidentally added to much borax.)
Fc: little above shock level at 15ppm
Cc: .5 best I could tell might have messed up the test but will retest in the morning
Cya: did not test.
Ta: 130.

fast1971chevelle said:
first things first how did you test the water...ie pool store strips? and IF those numbers are accurate the first thing i would do is get my ph up to around 7.2 assuming it is 20,000 gallons it would take 170 of team mule 20 borax to get the ph to 7.2. is this a new fill if not have you used any pucks or added any stabilizer? if not i would add 80 oz by weight of granular stabilizer in a sock in front of the return jet but dont let it touch the liner as it can discolor it which will get you to 30 ppm cya, and get , and go read pool school, shocking your pool and the abc's of water chemistry .......Mike

Thanks for your advice also Mike. I added 2 boxes of 20 team mule and my PH went up a good bit probably to much. I have also added more water since 2 days ago so may have had something to do with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.