Total newbie mistake: salt added to filter before pump

Aug 29, 2012
Hello all,

I just bought a place with a salt pool, the unit was telling me the salt content was low so a added a small quantity (less than 1/4 a bag) to the filter basket JUST before the pump last week.

After some some poor weather and debris in the pool I noticed the pump was running nonstop and was quite hot.

Opening it up I see the pump is not priming.

1. Did I ruin the pump or are these matters hopefully not related?
2. Where do I add the salt directly to shallow part of pool?
3. What is best way to prime the pump?

Appreciate your assistance,

Signed,

Sleepless in Florida.

I can't offer advice on the pump but can on the salt. When you add salt turn the SWG off. Dump the salt in the pool (I ussually scatter it all over) and then brush the pool to help it dissolve quicker. Give it a day or two to dissolve and then turn your SWG back on.

ouachita said:
I can't offer advice on the pump but can on the salt. When you add salt turn the SWG off. Dump the salt in the pool (I ussually scatter it all over) and then brush the pool to help it dissolve quicker. Give it a day or two to dissolve and then turn your SWG back on.

Isn't this for when you first add salt to a pool? If I'm not mistaken, I believe the OP's salt was just low. When I add a bag of salt, I leave the SWG on. Am I doing this wrong?

OP, if you can find the make and model number on your pump, you should be able to do a google search for the manual which will tell you the best way to prime the pump. I know when I've lost prime, I will close the skimmer valve, while leaving the bottom valve open 1/2 way. Then I add water to the pump basket, until it shows full, then very slowly start opening up the valve that is open 1/2 way, until it's completely open and not sucking air anymore. Sometimes I've had to do this a couple times to get it going.

It's best to turn off the swg anytime you add salt. What happens is that you could get a slug of high salt and it could cause the swg to draw a lot of current from the high conductivity and burn out the transformer.

Bama Rambler said:
It's best to turn off the swg anytime you add salt. What happens is that you could get a slug of high salt and it could cause the swg to draw a lot of current from the high conductivity and burn out the transformer.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm really glad I asked! But could you explain what is slug of high salt mean? Does that mean a really concentrated chunk of salt? I'm using salt from the pool store if that makes any difference.

When you add the salt it begins to dissolve but it doesn't always distribute evenly in the water immediately and you'll have pockets of high salt concentrations. When that gets drawn into the skimmer/MD it goes through the pump and on to the swg which causes the problems. letting the pump circulate the water for a day with the swg off after adding salt allows the pockets of high concentration to equalize throughout the water and eliminates the possibility of damaging the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.