Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wanda the Whale on the way

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanda the Whale on the way

Just got Wanda the Whale for a great price on eBay, on its way currently. I have read good reviews about it, but one thing that they mention is it doesn't work good with a wrinkled liner. Just how wrinkled are we talking here? I guess I could just watch it, and if it gets stuck move it. I have nothing better to do with my time, anyway. Still has to be better than manually vacuuming.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wanda the Whale on the way

Personally I'm interested in knowing if it reaches the entire perimeter of the pool, I have a suction cleaner and was considering an upgrade, mine skips the far side of the pool along the wall.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, so it does not get caught on the wrinkles, and it seems to clean the whole pool. But I have a different problem I did not read about. My vacuum is sucking air. I have to believe that it is from the hose connections. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to have to figure out how to fix this, I don't want the pump running dry.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a common problem. Alternate submersing and raising each joint until you find which one(s) are leaking then check them to make sure they seat together correctly. If you listen closely you can hear them sucking in air.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Personally I'm interested in knowing if it reaches the entire perimeter of the pool, I have a suction cleaner and was considering an upgrade, mine skips the far side of the pool along the wall.
    I have a 20' pool and it gets the whole pool. I can't remember if I am using all of the hose sections or if two are put away in the box. The biggest problem I have is I need to have the pump on high to vacuum and then the return is so forceful that if I don't aim it down, it can mess up Wanda. So I just push it to straight down and when I'm done, I turn it to the side again.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I tried it again the other day, and it still has the same problem. And I made sure that every hose connection was pushed together as far as they can go. Anyone else have a problem like this?
    John