Is this filter too strong? Is there even such a thing?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
My pool has 5,200 gallons. Sadly, the pump and filter that came with the pool have died. Or more specifically the bearings on the pump died and the waterway cartridge filter that was attached to it is no longer in production nor does it attach to my new hayward pump. I have the opportunity to get a used filter for $85, but not sure if it is the right fit for our pool.

Questions:

Is a Pentair CC100 to strong for my pool?

Is there such a thing as too strong?

Is $85 a fair price for this?

We will be upgrading to a much larger pool in a few years. The old cartridge filter did 50 sq ft, and our pool was never really clean.

Thank you!

Assume you originally had a combo unit that is made up of a pump and a filter (they are 2 different pieces or equipment).

A filter can not be too strong (since it has no motor ;)). And a cartridge filter can not really be too big.

I do not see mention of a the new pump size ... what pump are you going to use with that filter?

BTW, for your pool size, we would recommend at least a 70sqft cartridge filter ... so the 100 will likely be much better than the old 50.

EDIT 2: Does it come with a cartridge? What condition is it in? Looks like the filter is $300+ new, but realize a new cartridge might cost you at least $75.

crek31 said:
jbliz - what is the formula for knowing how big a cartridge filter one should get as a minimum?

It is a chart in Mark's post here: hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html#p6543

We generally recommend double the chart size for DE and cartridge and what the chart says for sand ... although every pool is different and pump size can have an impact.

Really for cartridge, there is no upper limit. A larger cartridge will have slower flow through it and filter better and need cleaning less often. Although beyond about 2x the table, there is likely not much benefit, just added cost for the larger filter.

For Sand, you have to be sure the pump is large enough to properly backwash. And for DE, the pump has to be large enough to coat the grids and backwash. So it might be possible to get too big in the sand/DE types depending on your pump.

It also depends on how long the pool is open, and how often you want to be cleaning the filter.

So, there is not a real "formula" here ... just some recommendations (with a lot a caveats).

EDIT: Added some more comments.

Thanks for the link to the hydraulics post. Really got me thinking.

The new set up would be hayward 1.5 hp pump - pentair 100 sq. ft filter - and 1.5" pipe. Or that had been the plan. All of that information is making my head spin and now I am nervous my pipe choice is too small?

I know(now) it is a bit of an overkill. There were two reasons I went with it. One - free shipping. Which seems really silly now. Two - we are planning on getting a much larger pool in two years. I hated the idea of buying a pump now out of necessity then upgrading it again in two years.

I agree with Dave. Your pump might be larger than what I am running on a pool 4 times the size. You will likely quickly use more electricity than you saved on shipping ... live and learn ;)

Can you be more specific on the model pump you got? What is the service factor? I want to get a "rough" idea of the flow rate.

How big of a pool are you planning to get? Are you OK with upgrading the filter in a few years?

Well don't I just feel dumb. :hammer:

Sigh. I feel silly.

It is this pump:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Haywar...w.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1580X15 ... ayward+1.5[/url]

I suppose we could upgrade to a bigger filter down the road. Just can't afford to spend a ton on one right now. Hadn't planned on replacing it at all, but the waterway filter that was connected to the old pump has a specialty female connector that I can't find an adapter for.

If I had the time and the ability to return this pump for something smaller, I would. Knowing what I know now. But we are having a pool party this weekend and our pool has been without a pump for a week now.

Well, I see why you bought that one from Amazon ... since it is like 50% off. You are saving the money now at the expense of electricity in the future.
That is a pretty powerful pump, I am guessing you will get at least 50GPM flow rate (possibly more if your head loss is low). How many return jets does the pool have?

A general rule of thumb is sizing the pump for about 3 turn overs per day (and then only run about 8 hours to get ~1 turn over ... although that is often more than required). In your case, the pump will likely give you a turn over in less than 2 hours ... might be like a whirlpool.

It will work with the 1.5" plumbing and work with that CC100 filter ... although it would filter better at a lower flow rate.

How have you kept the water clean without a pump for the last week? Have you been adding chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is only one return into the pool. The return and the skimmer are on the same side.

I have been taking my water to the pool store and based upon the chlorine they detected, I was adding bleach(what the pool calculator would suggest). I have also been scooping all the stuff out of the pool and skimming the surface every day.

I just got my tf-100 in the mail :whoot: so I am going to test the water myself today.

I do know know much about these combo systems and have not heard of that brand.

I have seen a lot of people say how the Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump is a vast improvement over the smaller Intex cartridge systems. It would likely also work for a larger pool as well (within reason ... depends on how big and what type are pool you might so to).

Thanks. I really appreciate all the help.

I am just worried now that I bought a pump that will cause problems with for our pool. We had a 1 hp pump with a 50 sq.f filter and there never seemed to be a ton of movement in the water. I don't know if it is because the return and the skimmer are both on the same side, but the far end of the pool was always dirty, and the surface of the water never seemed clean. But perhaps that is because the pump was dying?

Looks like I will either buy a used 100 sq. ft cartridge filter or perhaps a Hayward sand filter. If I didn't have our daughters pool party this weekend, I would return the pump for something else. Just need to get this together and the water clean and safe for the kids.

jblizzle said:
I do know know much about these combo systems and have not heard of that brand.

I have seen a lot of people say how the Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump is a vast improvement over the smaller Intex cartridge systems. It would likely also work for a larger pool as well (within reason ... depends on how big and what type are pool you might so to).

Yup... night and day difference!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.