backwash but pressure didn't change

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
I just backwashed my filter and after doing it the pressure is the same before I did it. The previous owner said it should be around 15 psi when clean and 20 when dirty, it is 21 right now.

History: The PO showed me how to backwash nearly two weeks ago and I'm sure I'm doing it right, but I don't know if he add D.E. after he showed this to me.

Not sure where to go here.

Thanks for any help.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

You must add DE after backwashing. What color was the water in the backwash?

If it was run for a while with no DE, that could have clogged the grids and require you to take the filter apart and thoroughly clean them.

Can you add more details about your filter to your signature? I want to look up that multivalve ... some of those phrases are foreign to me. Not sure how Close and Winterize are different, but I this is how I interpret the settings:

Filter = Filter and Vacuum to pool
Waste = Drain and vacuum to waste
Close
Winterize
Backwash = Backwash
To remove handle
Recirculate = auxiliary circulation
Clean/Rinse = filter to waste

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Can you add more details about your filter to your signature? I want to look up that multivalve ... some of those phrases are foreign to me. Not sure how Close and Winterize are different,

I have a "Winterize" on mine--it's just halfway between two 'real' positions so that the diverter is locked up out of contact with the valve body. So nothing is closed, as opposed to 'Closed', where everything is closed.

I've updated my signature with the model of filter that I have.

Tonight I ran the filter in "Clean" for a minute and then drained and took the filter apart. The filter really looked a mess, clumps of blue goo all over it along with sand and just garbage. Looks like the filter was clean and it move all the garbage to the edges.

I hosed it off really well and cleaned out the inside of the filter. Looks pretty good. Couldn't find any Magic Lube or anything that I was 100% sure would work well for a seal lube. Is there something else I can use that I might find a Lowe's or Home Depot? I would thing the 100% silicone would work but I don't want to be guessing here.

Thanks for any help

Review the link I sent you. Might be a good idea to do the soak soak and then the acid soak to be sure they are nice and clean.

You need a non-petroleum based o-ring/gasket lube. A pool store certainly has some and I am sure you can find something at the hardware stores.

I've gotten it pretty clean. I'm going to let the super clean job like the one in the article go for now as I will do that at the end of this season so I can be ready to go next. Right now I don't have something I can put all the filters into and with just moving in I don't have lots of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.