sand filter and super chlorination

Apr 26, 2012
Quick question...I'm fighting off a big green algae bloom in my pool so I'm about to load the pool with a lot of bleach (according to the pool calc anyways) but my question is, does the sand filter effect the chlorine level? Should I add the chlorine then turn off the pump or should I turn the filter to recirculate and bypass it or should I just let the pump and filter run as normal?

First, make sure you have reviewed the shocking process if you haven't recently. It is not just about raising the FC level, but then keeping it there until you pass the three criteria in that pool school article.

k9mikep said:
does the sand filter effect the chlorine level?
No

k9mikep said:
Should I add the chlorine then turn off the pump or should I turn the filter to recirculate and bypass it or should I just let the pump and filter run as normal?
Generally we recommend to leave the pump on and valve set to filtering during the shocking process. This is needed to remove the dead algae carcasses in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.