I picked a Pool Builder based upon references, BBB rating, seeing his work, etc.... and put down a deposit. His base bid was competitive, but one of the higher ones. Now we are working on options and I can't seem to get him to answer my questions or give me the details on Model #, etc.. that I am buying. I'm all for a fair profit, but don't want to be taken, either. Please see his email below. I'm debating whether I should continue to push on pricing of the options or not and getting the details. I worry when things are not in writing, but also don't want to tick him off and then he takes shortcuts on the quality of pool build itself. Thoughts? I suppose he'll just mark it up in the plumber bill or somewhere else.........
Email response from PB
Our pricing covers all material , other materials needed to make these options work, labor to install, program ,taxes and freight. I will allow $600 each on the Intellibrite LED lights. We pay more than your pricing quoted from your online research from our local distributer. Easytouch system does include wireless remote.
----- Original Message -----
To:Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Pool Site Plan
Wonderful. If you start Thursday, when do you expect to have it done by?
The contact looks fine except a few things that I want to make sure on. You don't mention specific makes/models, etc.....so I get nervous wanting to make sure we are on same page. I have included my updated specs document as well.
1) I am not following the lights. I get two 300W clear lights in the base price that will be installed on the house side facing away. What is the extra 500W clear for $700?? Where is this going? I am upgrading those two 300W lights to the Intellibrites, 5 color changing LED ~$600 each (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 601002.htm). The 300W Clear lights appear to run between $150-$220, so am I being credited for the base lights? I can't figure how this is going to work.
2) Just want to make sure both the diving board and base are Tan Upgrade. http://www.interfab.com/Images-(1)/dbtan.aspx
3) Just want to make sure the liner has no border. The whole thing is the Gold Pebble Bottom.
4) Laminars ----- Please send me a link for me to understand the $1700 each? Are we talking the same thing? This is the Pentair Laminar I'm talking about with the Tan Lid for $667/each: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 80001T.htm
5) For the Pentair Easy Touch - is this what it is for---the 8 function, 40,000 gallons, with SWG? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 520545.htm
If so, does the $2,750 including a remote? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 520547.htm
Do we need a remote since the control panel of the Easytouch is so close to the pool?
In addition to the above questions, I just want to make sure if there are any other charges that I should be expecting that are not in the contract and if so, estimated amounts. I have a budget and don't want to be surprised later. Thanks.
Pool size: 20ft. x 46ft. 3ft. –8ft. Depth Shape: “Rectangle”
Pool construction type: Concrete Pool Vinyl Liner Pool
Surface to be Plastered / or / Pained
Coping: Poured concrete______ / Brick_____ / Stone_____ / Precast _____
Vinyl liner pool: Wall system
Galvanized steel X Rino coat option______
Sentry powder coated galvanized steel
Sentry stainless steel
Pacific Delux Polymer
Liner Type _____________ mil thickness 20 mil
Coping: Aluminum / Color Liner receiver only X
Steps: Poured concrete Steel liner covered X Pacific X
Filter: 30” Sand / Circulating pump 1.5 HP
Heater: 400,000 BTU’s Natural gas Propane X
Sanitizing system: In line chlorinator X
2” Schedule 40 PVC Skimmers: 2 / Returns: 4 / Bottom drain 2
Pool lighting: 300w clear (2) X 1 Handrail & 1 ladder: Stainless steel X
Swimming pool cover: Mesh winter cover 5x5 strapping – Color:
Concrete deck: Regular color & finish -0- sq. ft.
Maintenance equipment: Vacuum head, hose, leaf net, brush, pool pole and test kit ¬¬¬ X
Base Price $46,000.00
Optional Equipment & Features
Variable speed pump: $800.00
Solar heat: _______________________________
Auto cleaner: Dolphin M4 $1,100.00
Other: Automated controllers:
1: Pentair Easytouch $2,750.00 with Salt Gen.
Laminar: $1,700.00 each x 3 = $5,100.00
Pentair Water Jet:
Frog mineral system:
Delta UV system:
Mil thickness: 28 mil - $500.00
Automatic pool water fill system:
Extra pool light 500W clear: $700.00
LED: $700.00 x 2 = $1,400.00
Fiber optic perimeter:
Fiber optic in pool: _________________________
Depth marker tiles:
Volleyball set: $600.00 Coppervien
Basketball set: $850.00 Coppervein
Boards & Slides:
Diving board: Tan $1,400.00
Ladder: $150.00 Coppervein
Handrail: $150.00 Coppervien
Skimmer, return, maindrain:
Stamped concrete: _______________________
Options Total $ _$15,500.00___________
Custom steps, benches & sun shelves:
Color step: ______________________________