Ordered TF100 Fri. Coming 08/29! - Test results then.

y_not

Jul 24, 2012
Redmond, OR
I ordered my TF-100 kit from PoolSupply world, since I'm in OR, made more sense.

Plus, they had a free shipping deal on FleaBay, but when I went to order it, mere hours prior, they had just taken the deal down that day. =\
So I called them, they were kind enough to honor it, since I was watching it and saving my money, plus they just took it down mere hours prior. Soooo nice of them!! :-D

Just wanted to tell everyone how nice these people were on the west coast, although I didn't make freight cut-off time, it was nearly 5pm PST, they did ship it out Monday.
They shipped it FedEx Home, so it'll be here a day sooner than if they did UPS Ground.
That's AWESOME!!!! YAYYYYRRR :party:

I wouldn't expect them to honor that free shipping deal again, seeing as it was special circumstances as stated above, but they're a very stand up company so far, polite and fast!
They will give you free freight over $100 though, through their eBay store at least.

Can't wait to get it here and do my testing!! :whoot:
I have got calcium issues from fill water, I just know I do. So anxious to see what's what and also get a better handle on my daily chlorine consumption and CYA levels.

I'll post results here as soon as I get them, I do have a thread on the calcium issues, but it's weeks old, so I'll try and post it there so as not to split things up.

I'll probably end up using this thread just for testing questions and the like, ones that I can't find answers to in the extended test kit directions by JasonLion.

But just wanted to post the praise of the company here for everyone. Since I know TFTeskits sells their kit through these guys.

Thanks all.

OK, finally getting back to my post. Sorry for the delay, been busy busy with work and things.

So, I got my kit. HOW TOTALLY COOL is this!!!!
I have my own chemistry set, YAYYYYRRR!! :whoot:

Here are some results, didn't get the Speedstir, regretting that.
I'm pretty uncoordinated, but not the worst I have seen. :wink:

Last night was the 1st time I had a chance to do anything with it, I did the DPD-FAS test, EPIC fail! I got distracted, so it doesn't count. :hammer:
I just said forget it and waited till daylight hours.

So today, here's what I got.
No FC registering, except maybe a barely noticeable pink hue to the water.
So I didn't even proceed past the powder.
So I used the OTO block. OOOOh, I'm in loooovvveee with this simple puppy. It is sooooo spot on with those color bars, I was able to discern what the CL & pH were within seconds, no second guessing myself. It's WONDERFUL!! :D

About 5:00pm today
TC: 0.5
pH: 7.8
CYA: 20ppm
Started with 30 and had to top off water from splashout quite a few times, so this makes sense. Quite confident on this one.
Skipped TA/CH
Just haven't had the time for them and a little scarred of the CH test as I know it's going to be insanely high, probably like 500-600+. Not to mention I read that it's super hard to get it right without a speedstir. GRRR

About 5:30pm today.
So I dosed to 5ppm, accounting for 50% FC loss, as that's correct for the CYA of 30 I'll be bringing it up to.

This evening about 9pm added enough CYA in a sock on the ladder to bring it up to 30ppm CYA.
Checked the TC, OTO Taylor block shows 5ppm.
*Just doing this so I can prove to myself that my old OTO sucked!! And it did. LOL

FAS-DPD shows....
FC: 6ppm
CC: 0.5ppm
*It was juuuusssttttt barely pink when adding the CC reagent, so it took one drop to make it clear.

So that's where I'm at right now. I have a few questions aside from some things I eluded to above, but I'll post those later.

Thanks everyone!!
Happy Memorial Day. :wave: *Trumpets and streamers*

Sure thing Dave.
It's a great kit, works well. I love it!!
Praise is always given where it's due. :goodjob:

The only thing I might change would be taller testing tubes, just so it's easier to shake without sloshing any out. But like I said, I'm kinda uncoordinated.

So I did a TA test, still haven't done the CH, I'm waiting till I get better at mixing. Which I am getting better with each run.

About 7:00pm
TA - 160
YIKES!!
FC - 4
CC - 0

So my FC held nicely, it wasn't real hot, partly cloudy off and on, it's fall, so not like it has been a few weeks ago. It hit the mid 80's today.
So I'd say that's pretty groovy, happy to see it didn't drop much. :)

I have a few questions on the tests.

When I tested my FC last night using the FAS-DPD method, I sloshed out about a ML of water, so could that have made my FC reading high by about .5ppm or so? It happened while I was agitating during titrations.

Also, I know it says not all of the DPD powder will necessarily dissolve, but it never does all dissolve. There are literally rocks in it, along with the powder, you smash them 'the rocks', in solution with the scooper and they don't break up. What is that stuff?
The powder of course dissolves.

When I did the TA test, since I had to wipe the tip before each drop, as well as each drop took quite while to mix in, in total it took a while, possibly 2-3minutes maybe?
Is that OK? IE. you don't have to go really fast do you?
I got a dirty solid pink at drop 14, then a more pure but not vibrant pink at 15, so I went to 16 and got a nice beautiful vibrant pink!!
Drop 17 did nothing.
Is that how far I was supposed to go?

Lastly, the CYA test, this is actually pretty easy, you just have to be sure that dot is totally gone, not a single trace of it as I understand it.
But one thing that did give me cause for question, was the precipitated CYA particles begin to fall to the bottom, collecting on the dot as a white powder, as visible from the side.
That is if you take a bit to check out the tube. Not minutes or anything, but it does happen pretty quick, 20-30sec maybe. I read that you can just pour it back into the mixer bottle, then try again.
Does this work the same as just putting your thumb over the gradation tube and shaking?

Lastly, I remember reading about some particulars with the initial mix time for the CYA reagent plus the pool water.
So I shook it for 30sec, let it sit for 30sec, then shook for a few seconds once more.
Is that right, does it matter?
Please advise.

Thx.

duraleigh said:
<snip>
It sounds like you are on your way to great pool water management. How does your water look?
My water looks absolutely gorgeous!!!!
Love, love, love it!! :party:
Doesn't smell funny, tastes nearly like tap water, it's awesome!
I love chemists and all the knowledge that have brought these methods together, collectively on this forum. It's a God send, a life saver, a wallet saver and sanity keeper. :cheers:

Underwater is another story, but that's another thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.