Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC-40 Too Big

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC-40 Too Big

I have run into the issue that my IC-40 SWG is too large for my pool. We had an extremely hot summer and I did not have to increase the SWG by 20% the entire time. I do keep my pump on 24/7 on low (it's a two speed) and would like to continue to do that in the future. I would like to figure out a way to make my SWG only run 10% without having to get an easy touch or intellitouch -- anyone know an easy way to do this on the SWG without changing the pump time and/or getting the easy/intellitouch?

Thanks!
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IC-40 Too Big

Easiest solution would be to get another timer and run the power to the SWG through it ... then the SWG would not be generating all day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Why do you run the pump 24x7? Do you have an excessive amount of debris falling into the pool?
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Easiest solution would be to get another timer and run the power to the SWG through it ... then the SWG would not be generating all day.
    Come on... you and I know the easiest solution is to increase the bather loads! Throw some wild parties and toss a dog or two into the pool!

Just kidding!

I think the 2nd timer option is a very good option.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

To be honest, I just don't want to have to mess with it... I was hoping there was a way to program the ic-40 to only run 10% of the time, but I guess that's not an option
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

6. Back To Top    #6

Only 3 options (well 4 if you count UWV's idea ):
    1. Reduce pump run time (no real reason to have to run 24/7)
    2. Add a timer on the SWG
    3. Buy the controller to get more control over the % settings
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Only 3 options (well 4 if you count UWV's idea ):
    1. Reduce pump run time (no real reason to have to run 24/7)
    2. Add a timer on the SWG
    3. Buy the controller to get more control over the % settings
    My option has these advantages:
    • Low cost!
      Fun!
      Able to be implemented immediately - no delays!

But it has these downsides:
    • Hard to end - when will those freeloaders leave!
      Fun becomes work eventually
      Doesn't solve the problem long term...

Sigh... I guess there are only 3 legitimate choices after all.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys... sounds like I'm going to use a timer for the pump/SWG... Appreciate the help!!