Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My wife had mentioned tonight for the first time that she smelled a slight pool smell (chlorine I can only imagine) but all my numbers have been fine and the pool has been nothing but sparkling clean forever (well since May :-D ) I know I've learned here that typical chlorinated pool smell most people (outside of BBB/TFP pool owners) are familiar with relate that to high chlorine levels, when in actuality its the CC's if any that are in the water due to not maintaining the correct FC level and something starting to live in the water.
I'm assuming it may just be my wife's sensitive nose possibly and/or maybe she's even loosing it a bit :wink: ?? Or maybe as simple as a gust of wind blew at the right time from our pool pump house where my 15gal drum of hypo is and it carried over a little fumes maybe ??

A little paranoid after she mentioned it so of course I ran a full set of tests and like I said all looks well ?

PH-7.5
FC-7.5 (a little higher then normal, dialing it back down to 6ish)
CC- 0
TA-75 (finally seems to be stabilizing my PH)
CH-160
CYA-45-50

Are you keeping a cover on most of the time? Sometimes that can cause a CC smell when it comes off since the cover can prevent CC breakdown/outgassing.

roadking00 said:
when in actuality its the CC's if any that are in the water due to not maintaining the correct FC level and something starting to live in the water.
Even when a pool is properly maintained, CCs exist due chlorine breaking down sweat, urine, etc. In this case the CCs just tend to not exist for long or at a very high concentrations since there is adequate chlorine to take care of it.

If it's a faint "clean bleach" smell, then that could just be chlorine (hypochlorous acid, most likely; not chlorine gas) and not chloramines. In my pool I can barely smell it if I churn up the water to aerate but it's not a "bad chlorine smell" associated with chloramines. When we say there's no smell, we mean most people won't notice a smell and those who are sensitive or with churned up water you might notice a faint bleach-like smell, but not the bad pool smell associated with some commercial/public pools.

I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine. But it's an extremely pleasant , fresh smell. I actually like it. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Some days it's stronger than others, depending on air temp., sun, wind, what time I get in as to how the CL levels are on their daily expected drop from UV exposure, etc..

I do have a very highly sensitive sense of smell though, sometimes that's good, sometimes bad. In this case, it's good.

When I take out my filter, after rinsing it off, I like to take a sniff of it. It just smells sooooo fresh and clean and good. :mrgreen:
Makes me happy!! :party:

I know, I'm weird, stinkin' sue me! :p :wink:

For grins I'd try a 25 ml sample to get the 0.2ppm accuracy.

I'll have to give this a try next time....

Are you keeping a cover on most of the time?

No cover at all, full sun all day keeps temps pretty good :)

If its a faint "clean bleach" smell, then that could just be chlorine (hypochlorous acid, most likely; not chlorine gas) and not chloramines.

I think thats what I'm gonna call it...a slight clean bleach smell and the right wind conditions at the time ....

I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine.

When I first switched over to BBB and started using chlorine (rather than Baquasil at our prior home) I was getting the same smell ever so slightly myself , but I guess over the past few months I've gotten use to it and dont even smell it anymore?? But thats fine , i like the faint smell anyhow :) at least I know its safe to swim in and have a MUCH better understanding of my pool chemistry :-D

Was that chlorine smell on her skin or or on the pool?

Just in the pool area , she was hanging out on the patio, not even in the pool that day ....

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll continue to monitor and occasionally ask the wife for the sniff test of the pool area :cool:

roadking00 said:
I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine.

When I first switched over to BBB and started using chlorine (rather than Baquasil at our prior home) I was getting the same smell ever so slightly myself , but I guess over the past few months I've gotten use to it and dont even smell it anymore?? But thats fine , i like the faint smell anyhow :) at least I know its safe to swim in and have a MUCH better understanding of my pool chemistry :-D

True that, I like knowing what's going on in my pool. I blame the OCD!! But at least I learn a lot. ;)
And I no longer dread getting in the pool, no more dry itchy skin. YAAAYYY!!
It has only been a few months, I'd say I smell it less, night time is when I smell it the most and only right at the waters edge. Otherwise I really have to hunt to smell it.

roadking00 said:
Was that chlorine smell on her skin or or on the pool?

Just in the pool area , she was hanging out on the patio, not even in the pool that day ....

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll continue to monitor and occasionally ask the wife for the sniff test of the pool area :cool:

Yes, it sounds like your wife has quite da' sniffa'. Have her sniff out your chloramines, she can be your CC detector, saving you money on re-agents. :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.