Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

My wife had mentioned tonight for the first time that she smelled a slight pool smell (chlorine I can only imagine) but all my numbers have been fine and the pool has been nothing but sparkling clean forever (well since May ) I know I've learned here that typical chlorinated pool smell most people (outside of BBB/TFP pool owners) are familiar with relate that to high chlorine levels, when in actuality its the CC's if any that are in the water due to not maintaining the correct FC level and something starting to live in the water.
    I'm assuming it may just be my wife's sensitive nose possibly and/or maybe she's even loosing it a bit ?? Or maybe as simple as a gust of wind blew at the right time from our pool pump house where my 15gal drum of hypo is and it carried over a little fumes maybe ??

A little paranoid after she mentioned it so of course I ran a full set of tests and like I said all looks well ?

PH-7.5
    FC-7.5 (a little higher then normal, dialing it back down to 6ish)
    CC- 0
    TA-75 (finally seems to be stabilizing my PH)
    CH-160
    CYA-45-50
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

For grins I'd try a 25 ml sample to get the 0.2ppm accuracy. But even with zero cc's I imagine some could be under the detection threshold.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you keeping a cover on most of the time? Sometimes that can cause a CC smell when it comes off since the cover can prevent CC breakdown/outgassing.

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00
    when in actuality its the CC's if any that are in the water due to not maintaining the correct FC level and something starting to live in the water.
    Even when a pool is properly maintained, CCs exist due chlorine breaking down sweat, urine, etc. In this case the CCs just tend to not exist for long or at a very high concentrations since there is adequate chlorine to take care of it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's a faint "clean bleach" smell, then that could just be chlorine (hypochlorous acid, most likely; not chlorine gas) and not chloramines. In my pool I can barely smell it if I churn up the water to aerate but it's not a "bad chlorine smell" associated with chloramines. When we say there's no smell, we mean most people won't notice a smell and those who are sensitive or with churned up water you might notice a faint bleach-like smell, but not the bad pool smell associated with some commercial/public pools.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine. But it's an extremely pleasant , fresh smell. I actually like it. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Some days it's stronger than others, depending on air temp., sun, wind, what time I get in as to how the CL levels are on their daily expected drop from UV exposure, etc..

I do have a very highly sensitive sense of smell though, sometimes that's good, sometimes bad. In this case, it's good.

When I take out my filter, after rinsing it off, I like to take a sniff of it. It just smells sooooo fresh and clean and good.
    Makes me happy!!

I know, I'm weird, stinkin' sue me! :P
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Was that chlorine smell on her skin or or on the pool? If she swims laps, for example, the chlorine will combine with sweat creating CCs and may cling to the skin.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

For grins I'd try a 25 ml sample to get the 0.2ppm accuracy.
    I'll have to give this a try next time....

Are you keeping a cover on most of the time?
    No cover at all, full sun all day keeps temps pretty good

If its a faint "clean bleach" smell, then that could just be chlorine (hypochlorous acid, most likely; not chlorine gas) and not chloramines.
    I think thats what I'm gonna call it...a slight clean bleach smell and the right wind conditions at the time ....

I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine.
    When I first switched over to BBB and started using chlorine (rather than Baquasil at our prior home) I was getting the same smell ever so slightly myself , but I guess over the past few months I've gotten use to it and dont even smell it anymore?? But thats fine , i like the faint smell anyhow at least I know its safe to swim in and have a MUCH better understanding of my pool chemistry

Was that chlorine smell on her skin or or on the pool?
    Just in the pool area , she was hanging out on the patio, not even in the pool that day ....

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll continue to monitor and occasionally ask the wife for the sniff test of the pool area
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

8. Back To Top    #8

I can always smell a very slight bleach smell in mine.
    When I first switched over to BBB and started using chlorine (rather than Baquasil at our prior home) I was getting the same smell ever so slightly myself , but I guess over the past few months I've gotten use to it and dont even smell it anymore?? But thats fine , i like the faint smell anyhow at least I know its safe to swim in and have a MUCH better understanding of my pool chemistry
    True that, I like knowing what's going on in my pool. I blame the OCD!! But at least I learn a lot.
    And I no longer dread getting in the pool, no more dry itchy skin. YAAAYYY!!
    It has only been a few months, I'd say I smell it less, night time is when I smell it the most and only right at the waters edge. Otherwise I really have to hunt to smell it.

Was that chlorine smell on her skin or or on the pool?
    Just in the pool area , she was hanging out on the patio, not even in the pool that day ....

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll continue to monitor and occasionally ask the wife for the sniff test of the pool area
    Yes, it sounds like your wife has quite da' sniffa'. Have her sniff out your chloramines, she can be your CC detector, saving you money on re-agents. :P
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D