Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax Availability

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax Availability

Anyone out there having trouble finding 20 Mule Team Borax? I have been to two different WalMarts three separate times over the past three weeks and there in none to be had. The space where it is supposed to be is empty. Just my luck?
    16K IG vinyl liner - 2.5 HP Hayward Pump - Hayward Sand Filter - CircuPool Si 30 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Borax Availability

People use it to make homemade laundry soap also. That might be contributing to the short supply. Some grocery stores in my area carry it too, but it might cost a bit more there.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A number of us have used boric acid, since the price shipped is not much more than the borax/MA route...and it is easier to use. I bought mine at http://dudadiesel.com
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I needed 11 boxes for my pool, and all the Walmarts near me were always out as well. My wife actually went to Customer Service and had them order 15 boxes. They were supposed to call when they arrived, but of course that didn't happen. We went the day after it was supposed to arrive and they had already stocked it on the shelves. Needless to say, we cleaned them out.

Jose
    17x34' 13400gal freeform gunite IG pool, DB Tahoe Blue, cartridge filter, Rainbow 320, ClearO3 ozonator, 1.5HP 2sp Whisperflow, Intellibrite 5G Color LED, pavers, screened enclosure, Liquidator, 6x Fafco SunSavers, SolarTouch

5. Back To Top    #5

dudadiesel X2. Purchased 2 times from them.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Menards carry it and so does Rural King stores and Rural King is cheaper than Wally World.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Four supermarkets in my area sold out their stock. I had to go to another town to purchase it. Next time, purchase it before pool season starts.
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

8. Back To Top    #8

Do any of you know if there's a place in Canada to buy the boric acid online? I use borax and MA now, but would use the boric acid if I could acquire it.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

See the thread Boric Acid in Canada.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

I got my 20 Mule Team at Target.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Chem Geek. I did search but I guess my search skills are lacking!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit