Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do without the aqua smarte system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do without the aqua smarte system?

I've been reading these posts and I'm a little confused. We are newbies to this whole above ground pool thing. We bought a 24 ft. round from Watson's and like many of you were given the aqua smarte system. So my question is, if we disconnect the system and decide not to use it, what do we do to keep the pool clean and clear? In other words, what are the steps necessary without that system? Right now, they have us shocking our pool once a week with granular chlorine (1 lb.), then a couple of days later putting in a capful or two of phos free and then a couple of days after that putting in one bag of Non Chlorine BLAST. Would I just continue to do that without the aqua smarte system? Thank you for bearing with me with all of these questions. We are seriously clueless on this subject.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Do without the aqua smarte system?

I am not sure what the aqua smarte system is, but it sounds like we would not recommend you doing anything that you are currently doing ... relax though ... you can learn

Start by reading Pool School (button at the upper right). That will start giving you an understanding of the actual pool chemistry and the terminology we used (so we do not get each other confused).

Also having a good test kit is the best investment you can make to take control of your pool. See the link in my signature for the kits we recommend.

What we strive for in knowing our pools chemistry through accurate testing and then only adding what it needs ... thus saving money.

Generally you need to keep the pH and the FC (chlorine) in range. If you do this, you NEVER have to do weekly "shocking" or even worry about phosphates.

Once the pool is balanced, you will only be needing to add liquid chlorine (bleach) to add FC and maybe some muriatic acid to lower pH or borax to raise pH.

It will be hard to give you specific help until you get a little understanding and can post up a full set of test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, brentmaria

That aqua smarte system adds copper to your pool that you do not need or want (even if you don't know it yet ). Copper can stain and turn blond hair green.

Jbliz gave you great advice above!

Here is a pool school article to get you started:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

SW Ohio

jblizzle and linen gave you excellent advise and i can't say how important a good quality test kit is the tf100 is the mac daddy of test kits and the shipping is second to none!!
    This pool is my first pool and purchased a swg add on and after seeing how easy it is to maintain with the BBB method i took it back and got a refund (never opened the box)and i have never had to shock my pool and it has been sparkly clear since the beginning of june this method works and is so much cheaper than pool store chemicles.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all