Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA question

1. Back To Top    #1

TA question

Had a higher ph (7.9) and a low TA (70) so I raised the TA via 7 lbs of baking soda first
    Then lowered the ph via muriatic acid (which also lowers TA)
    So I aerated the water via spa jets to keep the TA from falling.
    Ph was 7.5 and TA = 100 after 24 hours, which is ideal I believe.

Should I aerate regularly to keep the TA around 100? How do you decide when to add baking soda vs. aerating ?
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA question

What is your chlorine source? If it is bleach/liquid chlorine, then our recommended level is 70-90 ppm TA. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How do you decide when to add baking soda vs. aerating ?
    You have that a bit confused.....

TA up - add baking soda

TA down - use the acid-aeration method as described in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

ok, makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

so how often should you aerate, only when your PH is too low and should you always try to aerate instead of adding soda ash?
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

5. Back To Top    #5

If really depends on what your TA levels are. See the "raising ph" part of this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...pool_chemicals
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

so how often should you aerate, only when your PH is too low and should you always try to aerate instead of adding soda ash?
    I think you are missing the point still.....aerate when you need to lower TA.

The simplest way to remember this often confused idea is....

pH up - Borax

pH down - Muriatic acid

TA up - baking soda

TA down - aeration and acid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

problem is I couldn't find my specific topic in TFP so I just googled the question and there is so much conflicting information when outside of TFP.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jp4120
    problem is I couldn't find my specific topic in TFP so I just googled the question and there is so much conflicting information when outside of TFP.
    Did you try to limit the google search to TFP? That can help when the built in search is too limited.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump