upgrading my pump and filter

Jul 21, 2012
Southern California
I have a intex 20' x 10' that i purchased at costco. Comes standard with a 14" sand filter pump and its just not doing the job. Im ready to upgrade but having trouble under standing some things. Manual states maximum flow rate is 1600 gph and the effective filtering are is 1.1 square feet. Is that acurate for a Intex pump?

Pool store recomends A Hayward Micro star filter system. Hayward Says the filter has a 1200 gph capacity and the motor says 40 gpm for its horse power. Whats that mean? Would this be considered a up grade for what i currently have? Please advise

Welcome to tfp, drnava99 :wave:

drnava99 said:
Is that acurate for a Intex pump?
That sounds right. For your pool, that filter is correctly sized.

What problems are you having?

drnava99 said:
Pool store recomends A Hayward Micro star filter system. Hayward Says the filter has a 1200 gph capacity and the motor says 40 gpm for its horse power. Whats that mean? Would this be considered a up grade for what i currently have? Please advise
Your current sand filter is better sized for your pool then this cartridge filter. We would recommend a minimum ~80 sq. ft. cartridge filter for your pool, and the largest Micro-star is 55 sq. ft.

The vacuming is horrible...Have to go over the same area a couple times to pick up the debris from the bottom.

Don have exact numbers from water testing but pool store said it was good that May b the pump just isnt turning over the water. It appears to be cloudy, More on the bottom than the top. Thanks again

If you really want to change it out I'd recommend the Intex 2650gph sand filter.... it has more than enough power to suck up anything. My Hayward "Wanda the whale" automatic cleaner picks up 1/4" to 3/8" pebbles when teamed with the upgraded pump. Probably the best "bolt-in" fit (no need for adaptors etc) for a no-hassle install and it runs under $200 (check Amazon)

-S

the 2650 would be a much better fit for your pool like stated above but the over the wall skimmer that intex uses leaves alot to be desired when it comes to vacuuming your pool, i would suggest not using it to vacuum just use the blue adapter and hook the vac straight to that and to fill the vac hose put it over the return to fill the hose so you don't lose the prime on your pump. i installed a thru wall skimmer and a hayward pump on mine and vacuuming is a breeze now.....Mike

I tried it with out the skimmer and oh boy what a difference. Thanks a lot.. do you know why the hayward motor states 40 gpm on the label under Horse power appose to others that have a Just a number with out the gph? Also on your signature, what is "1 inch sch 40 pvc" mean?

drnava99 said:
I tried it with out the skimmer and oh boy what a difference. Thanks a lot.. do you know why the hayward motor states 40 gpm on the label under Horse power appose to others that have a Just a number with out the gph? Also on your signature, what is "1 inch sch 40 pvc" mean?

Yup, going directly to the blue adaptor is the way to do it.

It's all about marketing - using GPH instead of GPM makes the number look bigger. 1 GPM = 60 GPH and thus, 40 GPM = 2400 GPH.

Schedule 40 & other schedules (Schedule 80, 120, etc) are standard pipe ratings. A sch 40 pipe is rated for 140psi while sch 80 pipe is rated for 200psi.

The pics below show 1.5" sch 40 PVC pipe/fittings that I use on my pool (the hard piping, not the flexible Intex hoses)
2012-08-26_17-58-03_716.jpg

-S

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.