Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and pump leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and pump leaking

I have leaks at the skimmer and around the shaft on the pump. Can I order some form of gasket kit to replace the gasket/gaskets around the skimmer? What size pump would be best for a 32'x54" round above ground? Do they make a two speed 115v pump?
    33' x 54" Round AG - 150lb Clearwater High Flow sand filter - 1.5 hp two peed Hayward pump - TF-100 Test Kit - 1 clear clean pool thanks to TFP and BBB - 1 soggy wife and 3 water logged boys. Next up, THE deck!

All of the above now in wreckage, hauled for scrap...and to wrap hunting blinds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer and pump leaking

Quote Originally Posted by stack_climber
    Can I order some form of gasket kit to replace the gasket/gaskets around the skimmer?
    Yes, you will need to know what skimmer you have, then new gaskets are easy to order. You can also make your own gaskets out of rubber sheeting by using the old gasket or faceplate as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_climber
    I have leaks at the skimmer and around the shaft on the pump.
    Sounds like you need a new pump seal (probably a pump shaft seal), not a whole new pump/moter (unless something else is not working). If you know your pump model, then the pump seal is easy to order as well.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's one of my problems. The guy that sold us the pool never gave us any documentation on anything, pool, liner, pump, skimmer, sand filter. The pump motor is a GE motor but other than that, I have no idea. know the skimmer is a wide mouth but don't have a clue what brand it is. The sand filter is a Clearwater but it was a replacement for the original, since the original had a horribe leak around the valve the minute it was installed. The orignal wasn't a Clearwater.

I'd like to just replace the pump with one I know and have info on. Is the Hayward MaxFlo with built in timer a decent pump? Should I go 3/4hp or larger?
    33' x 54" Round AG - 150lb Clearwater High Flow sand filter - 1.5 hp two peed Hayward pump - TF-100 Test Kit - 1 clear clean pool thanks to TFP and BBB - 1 soggy wife and 3 water logged boys. Next up, THE deck!

All of the above now in wreckage, hauled for scrap...and to wrap hunting blinds.

4. Back To Top    #4

Doesn't your pump (and motor) have a label? Post pics and maybe someone can help I'd it even if some info is missing.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Nope, no label on the pump or the pool. The sand filter has one, but again it's a replacement from the original. There is a plate on the motor for the pump, but it's just the motor specs. I'll try to get some pics in a few days after Isaac blows out.