Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do these extra pool costs seem reasonable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do these extra pool costs seem reasonable?

Does this seem a bit much? Our pool builder quoted us on a chlorine pool when we said we wanted a salt water pool. He said it would cost an extra $1842.00 for salt water. Just curious if this is a lot. I know they want us to get chlorine so we can buy their chemicals every season so I wasn't sure if this price was a lot to deter us from going to salt water.
    Also, we wanted to add another LED light and he's charging us $942.00 for another one.
    We live in suburbs of Philadelphia.
    600sq ft pool with a 9' swim out
    50 sq ft spa

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do these extra pool costs seem reasonable?

Both of those prices are higher than I would expect, though the SWG is much higher, and the light is only slightly higher. The SWG should cost $900 to $1500 installed while a good LED light is more commonly $700 to $900 installed. Of course prices vary with region of the country and can be higher if you get a SWG or light with extra features beyond the usual.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ferkity
    Does this seem a bit much? Our pool builder quoted us on a chlorine pool when we said we wanted a salt water pool. He said it would cost an extra $1842.00 for salt water. Just curious if this is a lot. I know they want us to get chlorine so we can buy their chemicals every season so I wasn't sure if this price was a lot to deter us from going to salt water.
    Also, we wanted to add another LED light and he's charging us $942.00 for another one.
    We live in suburbs of Philadelphia.
    600sq ft pool with a 9' swim out
    50 sq ft spa

Thanks!
    Was there a PDA (remote control) included with the salt water pool that would have added to the cost?
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

4. Back To Top    #4

No PDA, I actually want one but he said they start at $2000.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say it depends on the model of SWCG. A Pool Pilot is about $1200-1400 internet price. An Intellichlor is around $1000 internet. Installation and salt is extra. And, yep, those LEDs are pricey. Again about $500-600 for an Intellibrite on the internet. So the quoted prices while not cheap are not outrageous.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

6. Back To Top    #6

My compupool SWG system cost me $1300 extra last year when we installed our pool.
    It is seriously oversized so hopefully it will last a long time.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It is a shame that the builder is trying to make a dollar for installing the equipment. I charge 1800 for a complete install of the pentair system, this includes salt, and natural chemistry startup bags. The extra led is right in the ballpark. Yes you can buy it off the internet cheaper, but wo is going to take care of it when you have an issue. Your builder is right there.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics